Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

4" Rough Country Suspension Lift... Help!

Old 09-08-2009, 08:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift... Help!

Right now i'm running with 32" goodyear wrangler tires and i want to install the 4" rough country suspension lift.

It comes with: Front and rear coil springs, trac bar bracket, pitman arm, front sway-bar links, rear trac bar bracket, brake line brackets, cam bolts, and (4) Performance 2.2 series shock absorbers.

My question is do what else do i need to buy in order to make sure my jeep still runs smoothly down the road and parts on my jeep won't break. For example do i need adjustable control arms or can i do without and be fine with just the kit as is??

I'll also be purchasing the rc dual stabilizer if that helps in any way. I'm all new to this so any advice on helping me build my jeep would be awesome!
Old 09-08-2009, 08:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At the very least, get new adj. front lower control arms, I reccomend NOT using the cambolts, LCA's are much better to get your castor right and for it to drive well.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Look for the other RC lift threads from the last week or two. Lots of good opinions and advice.

As MKjeep said, definitely look into some front control arms. (or at least do a search on those cam bolts so you know the pro's/con's)

Also look at the feedback concerning the trackbar brackets. If you don't go to adjustables, you might want to strengthen them.

It may not be an issue with 32's, but if you decide to go to a taller tire, some more bumpstop might be in order. The integrated shock bumpstop will help with downtravel, but I don't believe it will keep the tires off the fenders going up. (may not be an issue anyway if you do not disconnect?)

Once the lift is installed, flex it before you get out on the trail and check the brake lines. (with 4" of lift, I found that I needed extended lines & relo brackets)

Are you doing the install yourself?
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

If so, you'll need this also:
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
Old 09-09-2009, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

well if i upgrade up to the next lift set that is 4" for a couple hundred bucks it comes complete with control arms but they arent adjustable.. is that ok or should i be looking for lift sets with adjustable ones?
Old 09-09-2009, 07:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoccerMan1080
well if i upgrade up to the next lift set that is 4" for a couple hundred bucks it comes complete with control arms but they arent adjustable.. is that ok or should i be looking for lift sets with adjustable ones?
If you plan to keep that jeep a while get some adj. arms. suspension height may change as your needs change, wouldn't it be nice to adjust your caster and pinion angle? Those arms are a one-size-fits-all deal. I think a 2 door stock x with a soft top weighs a lot less than a 4 door with skids, bumpers, winch, armor, rack, hard top, etc. I bet there is at least an inch difference between the two. If I was you, I would get at least adj. front lowers and rear uppers.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the kit and this is what I purchased along side of it:

1. Currie adj. LCA's
2. JKS adj. front trackbar
3. 35" tires
Old 09-09-2009, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Default Take a look at the Rancho 4" Sport lift

Complete and needs nothing extra, Ride great on my rig !

Trending Topics

Old 09-09-2009, 02:00 PM
JK Newbie

Maybe you should ask Rough Country. They seem to do a good job of giving you what you really need without selling you a bunch of superfluous stuff.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:47 PM
JK Jedi

I see you're running stock wheels. You'll need 1.5" Spacers if you run the 4" RC Suspension lift... or aftermarket wheels with 4.5" BS or better. And like others have already mentioned, Adj. LCA and Adj. Trackbars are good to have, but not necessary right away. They're next on my list of mods
Old 09-09-2009, 03:14 PM
JK Newbie

Not doubting you, but I am curious. Why would you need spacers with 32's? What would they rub on?

Quick Reply: 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift... Help!