Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

4" lifts and stock driveshafts???

Old 12-19-2009, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4" lifts and stock driveshafts???

I've read several threads of guys running 4" lifts on Unlimited 4drs. and see that they don't mention too often that they have changed out the driveshafts. I'm just wondering if this is a real priority to change or if you can run them awhile or maybe not change them at all? Comments?
Old 12-19-2009, 05:35 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran mine for a long time before I changed mine, some peeps rip the boot on it so they change it out. Even then , you could run it quite awhile before having to change it. The stockers look beefy, but they're not that good of a ds, not one you wanna drop on a stump or rock anyway. Thats on the front of a 4dr, the stock rear is still on mine after 43,000m, 35,000 of that lifted . 2dr is a different story.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Mine has been working fine now for about 10,000 miles. Wheeled it a bunch, too.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joneszj
Mine has been working fine now for about 10,000 miles. Wheeled it a bunch, too.
Well, we got one on a 2dr that's surviving! Jkrockstomper still had stockers on his 2-dr last time I checked, and he's a crazy man. Yall may be anomalies.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:32 PM
JK Super Freak

I know exactly what you mean. I can't even tell you how nervous I was at first, especially first time I flexed out off road, but ever since then and the times I have wheeled since, I have gained more and more confidence. That being said, I did have to adjust my flex arms to get the pinion set right with my lift, even had to grind a bit off the TF arms to shorten them enough...I was shocked, but it's working. Although the angle looks kind of, well, extreme, it's been just what you said...an anomaly.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 PM
JK Jedi

As for me. I installed a currie 4" lift. Also installed a rubicon express front drive shaft of which the diameter is .5" smaller than stock. this kit has so much flex it caused the front d.s. to hit the tranny pan. A little rub and bruising.
It would of been worse damage with the stock d.s. . And with those ribs or grooves the stock d.s. has, it would go from hit and rub to bite and chew. I'm glad I went with the drive shaft for those clearance purposes. back d.s is all good though.

Last edited by Absolute; 12-19-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is there anything under there that you might need to trim on. I thought I had read a thread of mkjeep's about trimming some things to make those stock ds fit. Also I've got a friend of mine who is running that Zone 4" lift with some 35's on a 4dr and hasn't put ds in yet either. It comes with coils, bumpstops, brakeline reloc., rear tb bracket, pittman arm?, and a front adj. tb....He's added a RC dual steering stab. and seems to be happy with it. Is there really anything else you would need for mostly a dd and will be off road very little? Also what do those front ds run?
Old 12-20-2009, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 dr auto with OME lift.

Netted about 3.25 inches of lift, tore the boot on the front shaft first time out the clamp holding the boot hit the tranny pan, the drive shaft just barely hit the transmission cross member. Many others are running the same setup without any problems?

I'd lift your jeep, budget for drive shafts and control arms just in case.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

I'm running a TF 3" lift on my auto 4dr and when the front would dropp it would hit the tranny skid plan. It tore the boot but I'm still running the stock DS. So I notched out the skid plate and it still hits at full droop. The DS hitting the skid is actually the limiting factor in my front droop.

So I'm running the stocker, I'd like to get a Woods. MAybe Santa will be good to me.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jcr931
Is there anything under there that you might need to trim on. I thought I had read a thread of mkjeep's about trimming some things to make those stock ds fit.
Scroll down the the 6th post

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/driveshaft-vs-skid-plate-102041/

Quick Reply: 4" lifts and stock driveshafts???