Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

4" lift kit; I want the truth

Old 09-04-2008, 10:07 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by redstarcluster
where should i look for these front drive shafts? and how much do they cost?
i would recommend picking up a JE Reel or TeraFlex shaft and both are available from our sponsoring vendors. if you get a 1310, you will be looking at about $450 and if you were to get a real heavy duty 1350, you can add about $100 or so more.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW My questions were not answered!
Old 09-04-2008, 10:51 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by serveapurpose
WOW My questions were not answered!
sorry jake, i was working on it when work got in the way

Originally Posted by serveapurpose
I have a 2dr Auto with a 3 inch lift and my front drive shaft boot has come loose from the clamp. It now rests at the rear of the front drive shaft in a twisted mess! I am wondering if the dealer will cover it under warranty, since they installed the lift? Am I gonna throw a shaft? I wish I could afford new drive shafts but I think I am gonna have to go see the dealer.

My front and rear drive shafts are the OEM shafts! Great there goes mo money down the tubes.... so much for my EVO lever
if your dealer installed it, i would think they should cover it but then again, they should have also known it would be a problem to do this in the first place.

as far as your safety goes, you will be just fine. the boot is only there to keep grease in the spline shaft and now that it's exposed, it will probably dry out and squeak - but that's about it.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:59 AM
JK Freak

I have a 2dr Auto with a 3 inch lift and my front drive shaft boot has come loose from the clamp. It now rests at the rear of the front drive shaft in a twisted mess! I am wondering if the dealer will cover it under warranty, since they installed the lift? Am I gonna throw a shaft? I wish I could afford new drive shafts but I think I am gonna have to go see the dealer.

I have spoken to a few guys that have had their driveshafts repalced under warranty due to early failure from a lift. You just have to find a dealer that is lift friendly. A couple of the dealers where I live sell lifted, brand new JK's on their lot. One of them happens to be where I bought my JK, and they are good about covering parts under warranty on lifted JK's.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Eddie,

I know you're a busy guy no worries and thanks I was just giving you a hard time! I will go talk to my buddy at Orange Coast and see what he can do for me.

JaKe
Old 09-04-2008, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good info guys, keep it coming, answer my question now.

So I got a 2 dr rubi, and i wanna go with the same setup. But I don't plan on changing the driveshaft for at least a month or two after i install the lift. Will the last at least a month or 2?

Thanks guys.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LAHAL

So I got a 2 dr rubi, and i wanna go with the same setup. But I don't plan on changing the driveshaft for at least a month or two after i install the lift. Will the last at least a month or 2?

Thanks guys.

my 4dr auto with a 4" superlift lasted about 3000 miles and 2 trips before I noticed the dreaded torn boot. I replaced mine with a Tom Woods (it's what my local shop recommended, they did the install)
Old 09-04-2008, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wrnglrguy
You just have to find a dealer that is lift friendly.
You are right! I called my nearest dealer and he told me that I will have a lot of problem with the guarantee with my 2.5 lift kit.

I called another dealer and THERE IS NO PROBLEM with the guarantee!
Old 09-05-2008, 07:46 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LAHAL

Thanks guys.
As long as you don't wheel, you should be fine. It's only when articulating that the front driveshaft will make contact and tear the boot. And in the rear, the 2 door will be at a steeper angle then a 4 door, but should last quite a while. Once you notice that your shaft is spitting grease out all over the place (meaning your cv boot has torn), it's time to replace it.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the info. so i'll need to get the driveshaft asap, since i go wheeling as much as i can.

Quick Reply: 4" lift kit; I want the truth