Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

4" lift kit; I want the truth

Old 09-04-2008, 05:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4" lift kit; I want the truth

I actually have the 2.5" Rough Country lift kit.

I want to change it for a 4" lift kit, but I want the truth about one thing:

Is it bad for the diff. and driving shaft bearing. The sellers told me that there is no problem.

Someone have any problem with that?
Old 09-04-2008, 05:34 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

don't know why there would be a problem with the diff but to answer your question, no, there would be none. regarding your driveshaft, are you refering to the bearing in the CV's? if so, they will be fine. however, if you have an automatic, you will want to replace your front drive shaft with a u-joint style unit as the boot on the factory one will make contact with your tranny and tear off.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if you have an automatic, you will want to replace your front drive shaft with a u-joint style unit as the boot on the factory one will make contact with your tranny and tear off.
My jeep is 6 speed manual. Therefore I don't need to replace my u-joint?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:29 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Frog Rubicon
My jeep is 6 speed manual. Therefore I don't need to replace my u-joint?
your driveshafts don't have u-joints, they have CV joints and nope, being that you have an unlimited, you won't need to change either your front or rear drive shaft out
Old 09-04-2008, 09:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
however, if you have an automatic, you will want to replace your front drive shaft with a u-joint style unit as the boot on the factory one will make contact with your tranny and tear off.

Does that apply to 3" lifts as well? I have a 4 door auto that I'm about to have lifted up 3", and I'm trying to figure out what I will need with the lift.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:15 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by redstarcluster
Does that apply to 3" lifts as well? I have a 4 door auto that I'm about to have lifted up 3", and I'm trying to figure out what I will need with the lift.
yes. anything over 3" of lift and you should be good to go with factory drivelines SO LONG AS you have an unlimited and a 6-speed. IF you have an auto, you will need to replace your front drive shaft. IF you have a 2-door, you will need to replace your rear drive shaft as well.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

AEV just released their kit, no mention of swapping driveshafts. Could it be that due to the newness, they haven't posted any info yet?

http://www.aev-conversions.com/products/nthdegree_jk/tech_specs.php

Last edited by wayoflifette; 09-04-2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Please refrain from posting direct links to non sponsors
Old 09-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

I have a 2dr Auto with a 3 inch lift and my front drive shaft boot has come loose from the clamp. It now rests at the rear of the front drive shaft in a twisted mess! I am wondering if the dealer will cover it under warranty, since they installed the lift? Am I gonna throw a shaft? I wish I could afford new drive shafts but I think I am gonna have to go see the dealer.

My front and rear drive shafts are the OEM shafts! Great there goes mo money down the tubes.... so much for my EVO lever

Last edited by serveapurpose; 09-04-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

where should i look for these front drive shafts? and how much do they cost?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:05 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by HITMONEY
I think you mean "under" 3" of lift and you are good to go...

actually, no, i did mean OVER 3". 6" might be pushing it but SO LONG AS you have an unlimited and a 6-speed, you ARE good to go with factory drive shafts. i have run this setup myself and without any problems. WITH a 2-door, the rear drive shaft angle is too steep and this will ruin your CV boot prematurely. WITH an auto, your front drive shaft boot will make contact with the tranny and tear.

Quick Reply: 4" lift kit; I want the truth