Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

4" Inch Lift Problem

Old 08-14-2008, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4" Inch Lift Problem

So about a month ago I installed (with the help of a friend) a Rough Country 4 inch lift on my 07 2DR JK. After about a 300 miles of normal driving (keep in mind I've never done any real off-roading) I noticed a creaking (best way I can describe it. Almost like the sound of metal stretching) sound coming from the front end when I make hard left or right turns. It is most noticeable when I'm parking. When I turn the wheel sharply to the left or right, it happens (regardless of speed).

Its a LOUD creaking. I can't idenitfy it. Ive been under my Jeep when I have someone in the drivers seat, and it seems to be coming from the drivers side. I should note I also had the Jeep jacked up, and the creaking sound didn't happen with it jacked up and turning the wheel.

I've done the wheel allignment (which solved my ESP problem) with the write-up on this site, and my tires are straight, nothing is bent or loose. This has been going on for about 3 weeks and I'm trying to save myself a trip to the dealer. Should I consider a professional wheel allignment? Could this be the problem?

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Last edited by RubiConVict; 08-14-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

bump bump.....................
Old 08-15-2008, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

did you get the lift with control arms? and re they tight, and greased? look at the nut and bolt heads, if they are not torqued you should see little marks around them from shifting and moving around.....also look at trackbar and brackets to make sure tight, and even look at spring bucket to make sure the rubber spring isolater is in place..........
Old 08-15-2008, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

get someone to turn the wheel side to side to duplicate while you inspect front end,I have had similar noises from=1)slightly loose track arm(steel bushing rubbing or"grating"against mount2)loose control arm bolts(same allowing shifting,noisy metal on metal contact3)springs moving in lower bucket and most common for me is my type of sway bar links get noisy when need grease,I have had to take them off to get them to properly take grease

with any suspension or steering complaint I find having someone turn wheel or whatever it takes to duplicate,while I inspect is the quickest way to find problem,otherwise can be like throwing darts drunk and blindfolded
Old 08-16-2008, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

I have the same lift and don't have any noises. I would just say like others have to make sure everything is torqued like the instructions say. Also did you move the rear swaybar links to the front? If so did you mount them properly. I guess you would see rub marks if anything was hitting them or the swaybar.
I don't know what it would have to do with turning sharp but did you cut out the tabs for your lower control arms and use the cam bolts? I have heard they are famous for working loose so you might check them. I did'nt do this and went with the adjustable arms.
Sorry I don't have anymore ideas right now but if I think of something (after more coffee) I'll let you know.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RubiConVict
So about a month ago I installed (with the help of a friend) a Rough Country 4 inch lift on my 07 2DR JK. After about a 300 miles of normal driving (keep in mind I've never done any real off-roading) I noticed a creaking (best way I can describe it. Almost like the sound of metal stretching) sound coming from the front end when I make hard left or right turns. It is most noticeable when I'm parking. When I turn the wheel sharply to the left or right, it happens (regardless of speed).

Its a LOUD creaking. I can't idenitfy it. Ive been under my Jeep when I have someone in the drivers seat, and it seems to be coming from the drivers side. I should note I also had the Jeep jacked up, and the creaking sound didn't happen with it jacked up and turning the wheel.

I've done the wheel allignment (which solved my ESP problem) with the write-up on this site, and my tires are straight, nothing is bent or loose. This has been going on for about 3 weeks and I'm trying to save myself a trip to the dealer. Should I consider a professional wheel allignment? Could this be the problem?

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.
i have the same lift and had the same creek noise, untill i sprayed lube on the track bar bushings. went away instantly.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

You guys were right, the lube did the trick! Thanks boys!
Old 08-19-2008, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

What kind of lube did yall use?

Quick Reply: 4" Inch Lift Problem