Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

4 inch with 35's or 6 inch with 37's ???

Old 01-26-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 inch with 35's or 6 inch with 37's ???

Hey guys, I just bought an 08 unlimited Sahara and I'm debating between those 2 lift, is there a big difference in fuel economy, is the engine strong enough for 37's, any advice will help..Thanks
Old 01-26-2011, 03:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with 6" lift and 35" tires, that way if you ever wanna go bigger you wouldn't have to worry about a bigger lift.
TeraFlex 4" suspension will work with 37" tires also and yes you will have to change gears with 37" tires because your power and mpg will suck really bad.
These is just my opinion, but you need to search the forum and find what works for you.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There are plenty of threads about running 37's on a 2.5-3 inch lift. A 6 inch is complete overkill, and you could slap on 40+ inch tires with that height.

Mileage: it is a complete craps shoot. Depends on model, transmission, added weight, location, how you drive, type of gas, performance mods, and so on. Expect 37's to give worse mileage, but nobody can tell you what mileage you will get.

Engine: it's all about the gearing. Re-gear for the tires you choose to get you back to a stock-like final ratio, and then decide if you need a S/C or Hemi.

You will also want to look into strengthening that front D30.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Depends on your use of the rig, rock, mud, forest roads, dunes, etc.. I'd run a 4" lift with 37's and 5.13 gears.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4 inch and six inch are not like comparing apples to apples... Six inch is BIG. Drive shafts will be needed. What's your budget? 6 inch will allow you to run huge Tires... I hope you have at least 44s front and rear.... Sleeved and c gusseted.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would go with a 4inch and 35's mainly because of driveability . If you ever decide you want 37's you could always add body lift , coil spacers , flat fenders etc if they dont give you enough clearance with the 4 inch. Also I dont imagine that the price of gas is going back down. Got to ask yourself several questions ; is this a daily driver and what kind of offroading are you going to be doing . good luck.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:14 PM
JK Super Freak

4 inch is enough lift for 37s. I have about 4.5 inchs and am considering going to 38s!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO a 4-inch lift with 35s is very unnecessary and just too much lift. If you have no intention of 37s, then a Teraflex 2.5" coil lift (or similar) is perfect for 35s. Also, lifts over 2.5 inches will require new drive shafts, increasing your initial outlay, and 35s are ok (not great) with stock 3.73 or 4.10 gears. 37s will need regearing. How much do you want to spend ?

My 35s with 2.5" lift and chopped fenders performs great, but visually the 35" tires look small, would look crazy IMO with 4 or 6" lift.

If you want to spend the $ on a set-up with 37s, I'd recommend you take a look at the write-ups from guys ('Planman' I think ?) with 37s and 2.5" lift plus a little body and fender trimming, this keeps the center of gravity down, functions as daily driver (if this is what you need ?) and looks good.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:48 AM
JK Newbie

Default Well lots of good points!!!

Thanks a lot guys, I love the look of a 6" lift with 37's but I don't think it's for me , I think I'll go with a 4" inch with 35's and then if I choose to go with bigger tires I still could right? I'm still gonna check for the price of drive shaft and new gearing, I work in a Jeep dealership so maybe I'll get good prices.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2011, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jward74
Thanks a lot guys, I love the look of a 6" lift with 37's but I don't think it's for me , I think I'll go with a 4" inch with 35's and then if I choose to go with bigger tires I still could right? I'm still gonna check for the price of drive shaft and new gearing, I work in a Jeep dealership so maybe I'll get good prices.

Thanks
Perhaps you missed some replies. 4" is unnecessary with 35's and will make the 35's actually look smaller than they are.

35's with a 2.5 lift would be sweet, still you'd need to regear and I don't care what others say, they all say it is fine but they all also are looking to regear too.
Working at a dealership perhaps you'll catch a break on labor for the gear install, but figure tires, rims, new gears, lift and install will set you back at least $2800 depending on rim and tire selection and how much you get charged for gear install.
Then add another $200 or so to have the axle C's gusset and possible sleeved depending on if you really wheel the rig or not.

Quick Reply: 4 inch with 35's or 6 inch with 37's ???