Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

4" Frankenlift Needs Help!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4" Frankenlift Needs Help!

So, breakdown of parts. Factory driveline, dana 30 in the front, 44 in the rear (factory on both ends). Front housing is a bit bent up, so its making for some interesting adjustments. I have teraflex flex arms for lower control arms front and rear, and just added some rock krawler upper adjustables in the front. Bilstein 5100s for front and rear for a 4" lift. Old Man Emu 40+s for springs, front and rear.

Problem I'm having, just started today after trying to adjust my caster. I decided since my LCA brackets were uneven, I would just set the 2 UCAs to the same length (19.5"), set the caster (3*) and then attach the LCAs. Which means my LCAs are crazy long, driver is probably 23.75, and the passenger looks like its about 25". But the axle is centered in the frame, and the axle is the same distance on both sides from the frame front to back and well (aka measuring from the shock bolt to the pinch seam, 20.5") The issue I'm having is, the whole thing just feels long and bouncing. Basically, as I go over hills and large, long bumps (say bridges or dips in the road) it just feels like its bouncing, like the shocks just arn't there. Feels like I'm on a boat on a wave filled lake. Small bumps arn't an issue, it feels great going down a pothole filled road, just feels awful on smooth but hilly roads

My question is, does this sound like my shocks are just bad for my setup (I have 1/4" steel front and rear bumpers, and rock rails, and oil/transmission skids), or did I just make my front axle too far forward, and shortening it up again will fix things. The front axle is definently forward more than it was before, but maybe by like .5-1". Thoughts?

Also, the whole thing is pretty new, shocks have only gone in since January, front upper controls are brand new, only things used are the LCAs. That and my front axle housing is bent, along the passengar tube, so that may be causing issues. But the nasuating ride only started today after messing with the caster
Old 03-26-2012, 05:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

To be honest I would get a new front housing or a Dana 44. If your housing is that off it will be hard to ever get it straight again.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Tonka_yellow
To be honest I would get a new front housing or a Dana 44. If your housing is that off it will be hard to ever get it straight again.
Oh yeah I have one, just waiting for a buddy to give me a hand with the install, since I'm going to beef it up this time around. But I'd like to have the suspension fairly dialed in before then
Old 03-26-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

I just checked my shocks, no leaks, just as firm as the day I bought them

Quick Reply: 4" Frankenlift Needs Help!