Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

4.88 gears ?? help

Old 02-16-2012, 03:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy jj

Thanks again. It looks like I'm going with 5.13's. again. It's like a game of tug-o-war in my head.
I'm in the process now of re-gearing my 2010 4dr. JK Sahara auto w/ 35"s.
I've read many of the threads and was leaning toward 5.13. When i consulted with a local shop that is doing the install, he had concerns about using 5.13 in the Dana 30. I asked for specifics - he has owned his offroad shop for 20+ years, and organizes a local club; he said most failures he witnessed are due do driver beating on equipment and not reaching for the winch. - so he agreed that 5.13 could work if i was careful
  • We discused the type of wheeling i do (about 1x/month) I'm not rock crawling.
  • I'm running the duratrac's that actually measure 34.2"
  • my jeep is NOT a Daily driver;
  • i would still like to take the Jeep on long vacation trips
He still recommended 4.88 was smallest he would do - I agreed:
I am picking up the rig in a few days.

So i dont have real world experience yet....but just sharing my decision process.

good luck and Ridelots!
Old 02-16-2012, 03:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ridelots24

I've read many of the threads and was leaning toward 5.13. When i consulted with a local shop that is doing the install, he had concerns about using 5.13 in the Dana 30. I asked for specifics - he has owned his offroad shop for 20+ years, and organizes a local club; he said most failures he witnessed are due do driver beating on equipment and not reaching for the winch. - so he agreed that 5.13 could work if i was careful
[*]We discused the type of wheeling i do (about 1x/month) I'm not rock crawling.[*]I'm running the duratrac's that actually measure 34.2"[*]my jeep is NOT a Daily driver;[*]i would still like to take the Jeep on long vacation trips

So i dont have real world experience yet....but just sharing my decision process.

good luck and Ridelots!
Some good insight an information. Appreciate the post.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:36 AM
JK Junkie

• We discused the type of wheeling i do (about 1x/month) I'm not rock crawling.
  • I'm running the duratrac's that actually measure 34.2"
  • my jeep is NOT a Daily driver;
  • i would still like to take the Jeep on long vacation trips

good luck and Ridelots!
That's good and honest feedback from the Shop owner. It's too bad the fragility of the D30 comes into play so often, but it's the right information to have when you're making the decision. When you have it complete, I'd certainly like to know how it deals with the hills in Pittsburgh. Hard to go anywhere fast there with the morning and afternoon interstate traffic, but on the back roads and rural two lane highways lots of opportunities to give the transmission and gears a work out.

I also see you have a Diablo Predator and just curious how it's working for you?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great response from the owner. He's aware the issues already. That's hard to find locally. Ask the big boys on this site. 5:13 in 44 and 30 are both fragile. The ring isn't as thick as the other ratios. I want to say EVO shop thread/Facebook made a comment with an attached photo. All in all I know many running it without failure and going strong. But they are daily drivers and not beat up offroad often.

I run 4.88's with a manual trans and love them, not one issue.

Last edited by mjones; 02-16-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JPop
I also see you have a Diablo Predator and just curious how it's working for you?
I actually picked up the rig tonight....i'll take my first 500 miles easy and report back to forums from there! Besides the 4.88's gears, I replaced my 2½" with the AEV 3½" as i just recently moved to the 35"s. too early to report on everything..

Yes i have the Diablo tuner....works fine, I had a performance type shop do my intake & exhaust last year, he hit it with a custom tune using 87 octane...so i dont know all the tweaks he did. The most i have done with tuner is change tire size. I noticed on highway it will hold at 4½ thousand rpms during a long excelleration..... I intentionally back off sooner than later. I would guess the tuner makes the 3.8 a little more drive-able on the street....but i'm not pushing it.

BUT - HERE IS A QUESTION I NEED HELP ON: After the re-gear do i NEED to flash the system with any new info?
Old 02-16-2012, 03:54 PM
JK Junkie

Yes, you need to set your Diablo for your new differential gears.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JPop
Yes, you need to set your Diablo for your new differential gears.
Excellent....will complete over the weekend.... Thanks for the info!

Maybe too soon to ask.....I reset the mpg when i picked it up. the first 45 miles today (3 short trips) i'm averaging 17mpg! I didnt think re-gear helped mpg really....do you think this will continue? i was at 14 mpg with the 3.73's
Old 02-16-2012, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

you must live in some flat ass area. I never saw 17mpg's even with stock gears an tires here in Colorado.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hagausaf
you must live in some flat ass area. I never saw 17mpg's even with stock gears an tires here in Colorado.
Where you live does affect mpg's for sure and driving habits like how hard you like pushing on the skinny pedal. I've seen 17.4 many times on my lifted 09 auto JKU lifted 3" (closer to 4") 35" tires etc with 5.13 gears and a superchip. Some guys like to drive jeeps like race cars and then bitch about mileage.... not saying you're one of them..... just to clear that up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3114682804.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	278962  
Old 02-16-2012, 05:29 PM
JK Junkie

Excellent....will complete over the weekend.... Thanks for the info!

Maybe too soon to ask.....I reset the mpg when i picked it up. the first 45 miles today (3 short trips) i'm averaging 17mpg! I didnt think re-gear helped mpg really....do you think this will continue? i was at 14 mpg with the 3.73's
Keeping your rpms up in the power band will help with efficiency. There is of course a point of diminishing returns. Your exhaust with more rpms leads to better cylinder evacuation, and when you don't have your engine fully loaded up it stays away from the fatter A/F ratios of open loop.

Quick Reply: 4.88 gears ?? help