Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

4.88 or 5.13 gears?

Old 05-09-2014, 01:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone able to shed some light on how terrible it would be, and how miserable I will be if I get 35s and stay with my stock 3.21s for a little bit. (Few months).
Old 05-09-2014, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 JKU 6 speed with 3.21 gears and 35” tires with a RE3.5 lift. It’s not too bad at all, but when I go up steep hills I do tend to have to rev it up a little. When I go out wheeling, I use 4 LOW almost all the time. My JK still does a great job out wheeling and not too bad at all on the paved road. I don’t do any highway driving so I don’t know how that would do.

I’m saving up money to install ARB air lockers in front and back along with 5.13 gears.

Over all I’m glad that I didn’t install new gears yet, until I get the money for my lockers.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepster7u2
I have a 2007 JKU 6 speed with 3.21 gears and 35” tires with a RE3.5 lift. It’s not too bad at all, but when I go up steep hills I do tend to have to rev it up a little. When I go out wheeling, I use 4 LOW almost all the time. My JK still does a great job out wheeling and not too bad at all on the paved road. I don’t do any highway driving so I don’t know how that would do. I’m saving up money to install ARB air lockers in front and back along with 5.13 gears. Over all I’m glad that I didn’t install new gears yet, until I get the money for my lockers.
See that's another thing I want to eventually do. So why do gears twice? I'm glad to heart his since I want 35s so bad. What kind of gas mileage do you get? And I use 4lo as it is when I wheel. Just easier on my clutch IMHO. With the 35s is it real hard in your clutch? Do you have to hang on the clutch a lot to get her rolling?
Old 05-09-2014, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

It's not too bad on the clutch, I do rev it up a little more than before I got the 35s, but just a little. I plan on going to 37s in a few years so that is why I'm going with 5.13 gears. I want to fully strengthen my D30/D44 before I get my lockers, so it will be about a year and a half before I regear and do that. The first thing for me was to get the lift and 35s, now I'm working on some of the cheaper mods, then armor, bumpers, wench. Then I will do the gears and lockers. I would wheel it too hard if I had the lockers now without all the armor ect, so I'm taking it one step at a time and doing the thing that I want most Last :( . Well nothing is ever last in a jeep, you always keep getting more....

Oh, on the gas mileage, I'm getting about 16 in town, I was getting around 18.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepster7u2
It's not too bad on the clutch, I do rev it up a little more than before I got the 35s, but just a little. I plan on going to 37s in a few years so that is why I'm going with 5.13 gears. I want to fully strengthen my D30/D44 before I get my lockers, so it will be about a year and a half before I regear and do that. The first thing for me was to get the lift and 35s, now I'm working on some of the cheaper mods, then armor, bumpers, wench. Then I will do the gears and lockers. I would wheel it too hard if I had the lockers now without all the armor ect, so I'm taking it one step at a time and doing the thing that I want most Last :( . Well nothing is ever last in a jeep, you always keep getting more.... Oh, on the gas mileage, I'm getting about 16 in town, I was getting around 18.
Are you driving a JK or JKU? I'm already getting 17 MPG. I am not tooooo worried about the mileage as lo as it's not 8 MPG with 3.21s. I can deal with a MPG or so drop for a while until I get gears.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Anyone else able to give some input on 35s with 3.21 gears in a JKU 6 speed?
Old 05-15-2014, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PAwrangler08
Anyone else able to give some input on 35s with 3.21 gears in a JKU 6 speed?
You'll loose horse power... If you plan on changing out your gears I would not go bigger than 4.88 on your front D30. I would also gusset your front axle when you do go 35's if you do plan on wheeling.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK JK
You'll loose horse power... If you plan on changing out your gears I would not go bigger than 4.88 on your front D30. I would also gusset your front axle when you do go 35's if you do plan on wheeling.
Why is that
Old 05-15-2014, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaker t5
Why is that
What are you asking sir?
Old 05-15-2014, 08:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK JK
. If you plan on changing out your gears I would not go bigger than 4.88 on your front D30..
Why is that

Quick Reply: 4.88 or 5.13 gears?