Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

4:88 or 5:13??????

Old 02-19-2011, 10:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4:88 or 5:13??????

hey all
I am about to pull the trigger on regearing, and have a couple questions.
First my rig is a 2 door X six speed manual. I am running 35'' tires currently with a
2.5'' coil lift. I would like the option to possibly go to 37'' tires in the future. When it comes to regearing, should i go with 4:88 or 5:13? this is my daily driver, and i just want to go back to (or come close to) stock performance when it comes to gas consumption, and being able to use the sixth gear on the high way again.
i have read numerous posts about people going to 5:13s and the rpms reving through the roof in 5th and 6th gear. I am very new to all this, so patience is really appreciated if im getting this all wrong. thanks again everyone.
fire me some suggestions
Old 02-19-2011, 10:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Go outside and measure your tires, then open up the drivetrain Faq's stickied to the top of this modified area.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have an Unlimited, 6sp, on 37's and I went with 4.88's.

Acceleration feels like stock. ~2400-2500 rpm's in 6th @ 70 mph on the highway.

That said, I have a Rubicon so off road in 4 lo I have that 4:1 transfer case gearing to help in that situation. The X's, Sports, and Sahara's don't have that advantage.

SO really it comes down to do you want the most torque in an off road situation and can live with high revs on the road (5.13's) or do you want the best street gears for a 6sp & 37's and can live with the limited grunt off road. (4.88's)

Only you can make that decision.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:44 PM
JK Freak

I'm in the same situation and I plan on 4.88's.

5.13's/6spd/37's is running more rpms than 5.38's/auto/32's.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:46 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I literally just converted from 33s and 4.10s to 35s and 4.88s. During the drive to Screamin' Lizard Customs in TX (three hours of Interstate travel), I watched the flakey computer MPG gauge creep up from 15.4 (due to around town driving) to 16.1. After they put the new tires and gears, I watched the same gauge creep from 17.4 (they likely disconnected the battery, resetting the gauge) to 15.4. Now, bear in mind that the speedometer/odometer was not recalibrated during that (forgot the programmer at the house). But, because that gauge calculates average MPG, I think it's safe to conclude that my gas mileage is dropping. Bigger tires will only make it worse.

However!! I did not suffer any perceived loss of acceleration. In fact, I picked up a little based on my seat-of-the-pants. Now, "stock" (the 4.10s) was a long time ago for me, so it's difficult for me to say it felt like stock, but it certainly did feel better. Acceleration on the typical, slight uphills on TX/OK Interstates was without frustration. I'm running a six speed. With the 33s and 4.10s, I called the Interstate performance "marginal". It's important to bear in mind that I'm also running a six speed.

Around town, the performance is perfect. Plenty of acceleration off the line, and first gear isn't so short that it's worth skipping. Bottom line: For 35s and a six speed, I think that the 4.88 gears are just right. I'm afraid I will suffer a little bit on gas mileage, but I will need a trip with a properly calibrated odometer before I can make valid comparisons.

Finally, you'll find plenty of differences in people's assessment of gear choice, as well as their experiences. Take particular note of their transmission, as well as how they determined MPG, and whether they had their odometer recalibrated. Reading this forum for a while, my observations are that many folks are unaware how much those two factors will weigh on their own results.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Super Freak

I have 35s, 6 speed with 513. I absolutely love it. My rig is fairly heavy with bumpers winch, tools, my fat ass, etc. Dont forget, if you have a heavy rig you might want to lower the gears. I run 2800-2900 at 70mph on the highway. I do not go any faster.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:50 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ryanc
I have 35s, 6 speed with 513. I absolutely love it. My rig is fairly heavy with bumpers winch, tools, my fat ass, etc. Dont forget, if you have a heavy rig you might want to lower the gears. I run 2800-2900 at 70mph on the highway. I do not go any faster.
+1

(Even though I have a 2 door.)
Old 02-20-2011, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

I agree it'd be a tough choice.
I'm running a '08 2dr 6spd Rubicon, and I recently put on some 35's as well.
(My Jeep is also running a Bank's CAI, Cat Back Monster exhaust, and ProComp programmer.)
Since putting on the 35's about a month ago, I've only been doing city driving back and forth to work, and in town it's been great. (I can actually get all the way through an intersection (after a red light), before having to shift to 2nd, lol.)
But last weekend I had to drive up to Calgary (about 2hrs each way) and it was pretty windy too, so I was a li'l worried about how the Jeep was going to do on the highway with the stock gearing.
In particular, there's a 30km stretch that goes straight as an arrow due west, directly into the wind.
I was happily surprised that I was easily able to set the cruise at 110km's (close to 70mph), and the rpm's were around 2300/2400.
My mileage (for the entire trip) actually came down to around 13L/100km's (from 18L/100km's in the city (no idea what that would translate to in mpg's)).
For me, if I was to stay with 35's, and have the opportunity to change the gears, I'd go with 4:88's, (I've also read 5:13's break easier), but if I was to go 37's, I'm not sure?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jo-Ni-JK's
I agree it'd be a tough choice.
I'm running a '08 2dr 6spd Rubicon, and I recently put on some 35's as well.
(My Jeep is also running a Bank's CAI, Cat Back Monster exhaust, and ProComp programmer.)
Since putting on the 35's about a month ago, I've only been doing city driving back and forth to work, and in town it's been great. (I can actually get all the way through an intersection (after a red light), before having to shift to 2nd, lol.)
But last weekend I had to drive up to Calgary (about 2hrs each way) and it was pretty windy too, so I was a li'l worried about how the Jeep was going to do on the highway with the stock gearing.
In particular, there's a 30km stretch that goes straight as an arrow due west, directly into the wind.
I was happily surprised that I was easily able to set the cruise at 110km's (close to 70mph), and the rpm's were around 2300/2400.
My mileage (for the entire trip) actually came down to around 13L/100km's (from 18L/100km's in the city (no idea what that would translate to in mpg's)).
For me, if I was to stay with 35's, and have the opportunity to change the gears, I'd go with 4:88's, (I've also read 5:13's break easier), but if I was to go 37's, I'm not sure?
thanks. lots of good info