Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

4.7 engine swap

Old 06-10-2011, 03:37 PM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 engine swap

I think it's a great motor, reliable, pretty gutsy, and can pick up a new one for less than 2k.. Anyone ever put one in a JK? Thoughts?
Old 06-10-2011, 03:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, but hoping you will keep us posted on the swap...
Old 06-10-2011, 04:46 PM
rws
JK Enthusiast

I won't be doing one soon, but next year I was thinking of doing one and was leaning towards an LS3 swap. After doing the research, Dynatrac told me an LS3 would put a huge strain on D60s and could lunch them. So an LS3 would probably require D70s front and back. Then I stumbled on a new 4.7 for an 04 Grand Cherokee for $1800 which got me thinking.. A 550hp LS3 is overkill, even though it would be cool as hell. And my old GC had a 4.7 in it and it had balls to it. I would imagine it would work with the JK comps, smaller in size so no overheating problems, and have more than enough power to make a JK with 37s fun and put you in your seat when you need to get somewhere quick..
Old 06-10-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I loved that engine in my Dakota too! Tons of balls.

I think I remember reading an article in JP magazine that rated it as one of the worst engine swaps for the JK. I think I still have that issue kicking around to confirm.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I believe the limiting factor is that the electronics on the 4.7 are not closely related to anything in the jeep.. And the hemi uses many of the same controls. I believe I saw a discussion on this once on aev's site. The hemi does need a special computer, but the 4.7 would need entire harnesses and custom gauges, as the canbus signals aren't compatible. At least that's what I remember.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

I think the 4.7 is closer in relation to the magnum engines, 5.9 and 5.2. I personally like the engine and thought it was very responsive. Not a huge power maker but better than the 3.8
Old 06-10-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

I have owned four trucks with the 4.7 in them and was pleased with the motor. Why they never were put in the JK I have no idea.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is electronically closer to what the magnum motors were.(4.7's that is). Hence the reason computer have been made available rather quickly for the hemi conversion, which is controlled more like the 3.8l.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:29 AM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TROUPP
I believe the limiting factor is that the electronics on the 4.7 are not closely related to anything in the jeep.. And the hemi uses many of the same controls. I believe I saw a discussion on this once on aev's site. The hemi does need a special computer, but the 4.7 would need entire harnesses and custom gauges, as the canbus signals aren't compatible. At least that's what I remember.
Originally Posted by TROUPP
It is electronically closer to what the magnum motors were.(4.7's that is). Hence the reason computer have been made available rather quickly for the hemi conversion, which is controlled more like the 3.8l.
Figures!!! One of the best motors they've ever made and their AWFUL electronics don't work with one of their own motors.. Can't say I'm surprised as it took over 6 hours for my Jeep guy to get the HID's to work with the JK's system..
Old 06-11-2011, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do the LS!! Just keep ur foot off the pedal lol. Guy here in Missouri had an LS1 in a jeep( TJ?) with Dana 60's and when he went thru a mud pit at the local mud run he made his gears look like a brake rotor. At 5,000 rpm and mid-pit he broke every tooth 5.38 gears. :crazyeyes!

Quick Reply: 4.7 engine swap