Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

4.10's and 35's?

Old 05-17-2008, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N2rock
I am so glad to hear this! I'm getting 35's this week- of course you know the Houston area the only hills we have are overpasses

BTW- that sweet spot of 72mph, was that "real"- meaning have you corrected your speedo for the new size tires, or calculate in your head the real mph. Or was that what the speedo was reading and in actuality you were doing closer to 80mph?

yeah this is corrected, I bought the procomp accupro and used it.

oh and my trip was from Beaumont up to Jasper and back
Old 05-17-2008, 05:16 PM
JK Super Freak

So how much does it cost to re-gear? Minus the gears price themselves!
Old 05-17-2008, 07:47 PM
JK Freak

i'm running 35" bfg m/t's with 3.73 gears and a 6 speed.
i have no problems with acceleration, my rpms are lower, and getting 17mpg.
i rarely let it get over 2500 rpms though.

I think the guys with the 6 speeds do better than the autos

Last edited by jeepnyak; 05-18-2008 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Turtle

That chart on page 2 was a huge help! I think I'm gonna go with 4.56 gears when I finally buy new tires.

One thought, though: We bought the JK partly because we plan to tow a small horse trailer eventually . . . would I be better off just sucking up the loss of mileage to gain more towing power by going with 4.88s? I have a 40-minute drive each way to work, so I'm trying to maintain the gas mileage as much as possible.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default gears

If you want new gears wait until the Alloy Usa gears are available. The current Superior gears that are available are hit or miss with install problems, mainly noise.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bunker
yeah this is corrected, I bought the procomp accupro and used it.

oh and my trip was from Beaumont up to Jasper and back
Did correcting the speedometer with the ProComp accupro help with the
35's. I thought I read somewhere that it did. I have 35's with an Auto and
look for help with the Highway Issue until I make the decision to re-gear
and what gears to actually use.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jose Dosil
Did correcting the speedometer with the ProComp accupro help with the
35's. I thought I read somewhere that it did. I have 35's with an Auto and
look for help with the Highway Issue until I make the decision to re-gear
and what gears to actually use.

yes it helped BUT it still gets knocked out of OD with a slight elevation change or crosswind etc. It's worth the money for the accupro, it's a handy little gadget to have for sure.

I plan on regearing but I'm going to wait until after I get my sliders, bumper and winch. It's not my number one priority atm, but that may change next week when I have a 5 hour one way trip fully loaded and with passengers.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

yes it helped BUT it still gets knocked out of OD with a slight elevation change or crosswind etc. It's worth the money for the accupro, it's a handy little gadget to have for sure.

I plan on regearing but I'm going to wait until after I get my sliders, bumper and winch. It's not my number one priority atm, but that may change next week when I have a 5 hour one way trip fully loaded and with passengers.
Other than correcting the speedometer is it worth buying for performance gains as I drive alot of Highway Miles an until I re gear I'm looking for HELP
Old 05-18-2008, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jose Dosil
Other than correcting the speedometer is it worth buying for performance gains as I drive alot of Highway Miles an until I re gear I'm looking for HELP

man I wish I could give you more help but I didn't really test it before I recalibrated, just back for the tire place to home before I recalibrated. I did notice a difference around town after I recalibrated though. It's $250 to your door for the accupro from 4wd.com which is alot cheaper than buying gears and having them put in. I'd say buy it and see for yourself if you can deal without the gears.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

man I wish I could give you more help but I didn't really test it before I recalibrated, just back for the tire place to home before I recalibrated. I did notice a difference around town after I recalibrated though. It's $250 to your door for the accupro from 4wd.com which is alot cheaper than buying gears and having them put in. I'd say buy it and see for yourself if you can deal without the gears.
Thanks

Quick Reply: 4.10's and 35's?