Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

4.1 stroker? Who's done it? Pros vs cons

Old 03-19-2015, 11:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elusive

Not true.
The comparisons are always a non VVT hemi. The modern truck VVT hemi makes much more power than a supercharged 3.8 or a 5.3, or a non VVT hemi and with a much better torque curve. most folks don't want to pay for the newer engine though, so the VVT swaps are relatively rare.
Pick up any vehicle mag and they will al say the same thing (except for the hellcat) that the hemi just seems WAY under powered. Plus go look at dyno graphs. Either dodge lies or the have the most inefficient drivetrain ever produced. Not uncommon to see 37%+ loss to the wheels. Dodges vvt rated at the 400ish hp level only gets upper 200 to lower 3s . Shoot the first gens that where 345 hp only saw 230 at the wheels
Old 03-19-2015, 12:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
Pick up any vehicle mag and they will al say the same thing (except for the hellcat) that the hemi just seems WAY under powered. Plus go look at dyno graphs. Either dodge lies or the have the most inefficient drivetrain ever produced. Not uncommon to see 37%+ loss to the wheels. Dodges vvt rated at the 400ish hp level only gets upper 200 to lower 3s . Shoot the first gens that where 345 hp only saw 230 at the wheels
To the OP:
I would NOT recommend RPM extreme. My tune never felt right and it always had a bit of spark knock. The service wasn't that great and my engine always ran hot. That's after I spent well over $1000 with him too.

about hemi vs LS,
rear wheel dyno numbers on the 5.3 show 247 hp while vvt hemi's get about 310 or, about the same as a stock 6.0
both engines can make more power at higher RPM than their stock rev limiter.
again, make sure you are comparing the VVT and then make sure you aren't looking at a crappy hemi swap using 3.8 exhaust
Old 03-19-2015, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BenMowery
Have you tried Mike Norris Motorsports in Planfield?

Ben
no i have not. I will be looking at them shortly. Have you done any business with them? Thx Ben

Hemi vs LS = who gives a shit
Old 03-19-2015, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jarod5
My thoughts exactly. It's not what I'm trying to learn about in this thread.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

Default Mike Norris Motorsports

I personally haven't done any business with him, but I have a 67 Firebird Pro-touring build that I am working on. He is well known on the Pro-touring.com board. He does a lot of LS stuff. He even travels and programs for folks. That being said he mentions that they program most "piggy-back" systems. He may not be able to help you, but he may know of someone that can. I did notice on the Diablo sight that there was some folks that do Chrysler programming north of me by Lafayette.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:04 PM
JK Junkie

no i have not. I will be looking at them shortly. Have you done any business with them? Thx Ben

If you read the thread I'm in support of this stroker kit he's doing and someone chimed in about a Hemi swap being way better. I stated I don't think it is and hemis are over rated. I had one in a truck that I dumped alot of money into making it fast and damn stock tundras and titans would walk on it. I am very excited to see how this stroker goes!!
Old 03-21-2015, 05:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Elusive
To the OP: I would NOT recommend RPM extreme. My tune never felt right and it always had a bit of spark knock. The service wasn't that great and my engine always ran hot. That's after I spent well over $1000 with him too. about hemi vs LS, rear wheel dyno numbers on the 5.3 show 247 hp while vvt hemi's get about 310 or, about the same as a stock 6.0 both engines can make more power at higher RPM than their stock rev limiter. again, make sure you are comparing the VVT and then make sure you aren't looking at a crappy hemi swap using 3.8 exhaust
I'm about to do a 5.3 swap with them are they no good or something?
Old 03-21-2015, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread has gone way off topic. Take it to a separate thread or PM's.

Jarod5 will you be reporting back here or starting a new thread? Definitely want to follow along and get some real world experience from someone.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes PM each other. Yes I will be reporting back here. Hopefully the engine comes in this week.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:41 AM
JK Junkie

Yes PM each other. Yes I will be reporting back here. Hopefully the engine comes in this week.
Can't wait to hear

Quick Reply: 4.1 stroker? Who's done it? Pros vs cons