Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3rd Brake Light vs. 35" Spare Tire

Old 01-20-2009, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3rd Brake Light vs. 35" Spare Tire

Does Rudolph still show his shiny red nose over the new 35" spare or do I need some kind of extension bracket or else an aftermarket kit that has a smaller new light that you can mount in the center cap or through the spokes??

What do you think? I am talking about of course the STOCK spare tire mount.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:36 PM
JK Junkie

On mine I had to rig another light. But this is an option.

Check this out..

http://www.teraflex.biz/products/jk-...n-bracket.html
Old 01-20-2009, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gokracer1
On mine I had to rig another light. But this is an option.

Check this out..

http://www.teraflex.biz/products/jk-...n-bracket.html
$75 for a bracket and some parts. Why does that not surprise me..

WTF is wrong with this world? The sad thing is, the rich folks who pay "some shop to do it up all nice" for them usually end up getting these things stuck to them because they don't care to realize how overpriced this crap is.

I should drive down to TeraFlex and personally whoop someone's ass after seeing that - MY GAWD!!

I will look around for something similar else I will buy one of the (cheaper) kits which completely changes it from a big box light on a stick to a normal light with wires to hook up, which you can mount anywhere like through the spokes or the center cap.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:42 PM
JK Newbie

Mine fits. I would wait until you get yours on to see for sure.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:42 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by IPvFletch
$75 for a bracket and some parts. Why does that not surprise me..

WTF is wrong with this world? The sad thing is, the rich folks who pay "some shop to do it up all nice" for them usually end up getting these things stuck to them because they don't care to realize how overpriced this crap is.

I should drive down to TeraFlex and personally whoop someone's ass after seeing that - MY GAWD!!

I will look around for something similar else I will buy one of the (cheaper) kits which completely changes it from a big box light on a stick to a normal light with wires to hook up, which you can mount anywhere like through the spokes or the center cap.
Well it was an option, not for you I guess. Let us know what you find
Old 01-20-2009, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know if you are looking to build yourself or find something off the shelf. I decided to build something myself since I could not find exactly what I wanted. Here is a link to a post of mine, maybe this will give you some ideas.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/third-brake-light-lod-rear-signature-w-tire-carrier-49130/
Old 01-20-2009, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

So are you guys saying IT WILL BE A PROBLEM FOR SURE WITH 35s???

BTW, DING! DING! DING! WE HAVE A WINNER...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12066_1002.htm

Not "adjustable" but who cares. It's not like you're going to put anything larger than a 36 or 37 on there anyways, right?

And you do have to cut the factory one down some..
Old 01-20-2009, 07:51 PM
JK Junkie

this is what i did. it was like 13 bucks from rockhard: you could barely see my stocker with the 35 on there.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Ely
JK Newbie

Have not got a ticket in over a year ? When did 3rd stop lights become mandatory ? Cause if it's a DOT regulation theres a lot of 18 wheelers that are not in compliance. Hack the thing off one less thing to frett about.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Haha, don't REQUIRE a third brake light in Alberta. Only legislation regarding the third brake light is where it would have to be in relation to the other lights. But not that you must actually HAVE one.

Did find out that I HAVE to have all three mirrors, even while doorless. And that the two side mirrors actually HAVE to be OUTSIDE the vehicle.

But back on topic. You could always just get a piece of 10 Gauge (steel or alum), copy the light's screw-hole pattern, do the same for the bracket end, and voila, a bracket of any length you feel like. Throw some paint on it and you're good to go. Hell, go by a welding or autobody fab shop and just ask for a 6x4" scrap or whatever, I'm sure somebody would just give you a chunk. OR, even give one of the guys a cardboard template and $20 and just ask him to duplicate it. I used to do little "on the side" things like that for people all time.

Quick Reply: 3rd Brake Light vs. 35" Spare Tire