Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3rd brake light ideas

Old 04-08-2010, 10:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd brake light ideas

ok.. got my new rims and tires finally. gonna do away with the spare and mount but the problem im lookin at is that mississippi apparently has a law that requires you to have a 3rd brake light so any relocation ideas?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I mounted one of the back of the soundbar. I'll try to get a picture later. Obviously this only really works with the bikini top. I've also seen ones relocated to the tailgate.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a hard top you can just buy a cheap LED strip for $10 and attach it to the glass.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a soft top, so I got the little led's that plug in to the 2 empty lug holes on the spare tire. From 4WheelParts for like $40.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CitadelJeep04
I have a soft top, so I got the little led's that plug in to the 2 empty lug holes on the spare tire. From 4WheelParts for like $40.
you should be good to go now
Old 04-10-2010, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

umm... like the post says im doing away with the spare and mount so thats not really gonna be an option. and i have a soft top so im thinkin the soundbar might be the best choice unless someone has a better idea?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got a small 4 LED oval light from Pep Boys. I didn't take the time to figure out where the brake light wires come from, so I just ran two wires all the way into the tailgate.

First push the wires into the tailgate and cover it with a plastic plug. Then remove the plastic vent cover to get to the wires and remove the long plastic cover across the tailgate to lead your wires in. I ran my wires along the stock loom along the edge of the body, up the rollbar cover, and then on top of the soundbar. I have my bikini on so it covers the wires right now, but it also blocks some of the LED, but it's not that bad.

I'll post some pictures of my setup tomorrow night when I get back to my jeep. I have a 2 door without rear seats so its not a problem on the soundbar. If you have the full softop on I don't think this will work too well, but I won't try that for about 6 more months.

Here is a tailgate mounted one: quadratec.com/products/12526_1020.htm

Last edited by CDavisJK; 04-10-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've seen some that go into the hitch.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I finally took some pictures of my center high mount third brake light. Sorry for the poor quality parking garage pictures.

From the back

Close Up

All 3 are LED tail lights.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not put the light on the tailgate/back door? Just use a LED strip or whatever, you can reuse the mount holes that are there from the carrier. just rig up a simple bracket or 3M double sided tape. The wires are right there already. Too easy unless it needs to be X" above the ground or other tailights.

Quick Reply: 3rd brake light ideas