Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37s. Whats the best road tire?

Old 01-27-2011, 08:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am torn between coopers st and the falken wild peaks. Just watched a video on falken and very impressive marketing. Looking forward to others review on these
Old 02-03-2011, 08:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Going with weight. Km2 37 at 70 lbs and that's less weight than alot of 35s. I can do 37s with less stress on my d30 with the heavy falken 35s. Am I right here?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/ kevlar. Lightweight for a 37". Great traction on the dry or if there something it can bite into. Quiet on the road. However, they suck greatly on the ice we've had in North Texas the last few days.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ARinmyJK
I have Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/ kevlar. Lightweight for a 37". Great traction on the dry or if there something it can bite into. Quiet on the road. However, they suck greatly on the ice we've had in North Texas the last few days.
Yea, I am in Oklahoma and we got pounding with a few feet of snow in areas. My baja claws did great. My concern is weight not size of tire on my d30 up front with it's stress. So is it that ppl don't go to 37 because of the size on the d30 or the weight? Seems like weight to me. So some 35s are heavier than 37s. So really not size but weight is the culprit correct?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SilverJK12
Yea, I am in Oklahoma and we got pounding with a few feet of snow in areas. My baja claws did great. My concern is weight not size of tire on my d30 up front with it's stress. So is it that ppl don't go to 37 because of the size on the d30 or the weight? Seems like weight to me. So some 35s are heavier than 37s. So really not size but weight is the culprit correct?
I decided to go with KM2s because it seems like a decent all around tire. If I was more concerned with roadworthiness I would have gone with BFG ATs or the Falkens.

As far as the weight/size issue - I asked the same question while I was trying to decide to go 35s or 37s. I didn't get a solid explanation, though. I think that added stresses are due mainly to the weight, but that it's exacerbated by the longer moment arm seen with the larger tire diameter.

However, bottom line is that there's a lot of people running 37s on the 30. If you take it easy on the accelerater and invest in bolstering the axle housing ($200-300 for gussetts and sleeves installed), you should be just fine.

Micah
Old 02-03-2011, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

So has anyone ever confirmed that it's more the weight not the size? I'm looking for new tires and I really want to go 37's but I'm not sure about the downside ( gas usage and stress) I drive a rubicon.

So some gussets and sleeves and I should be good to go?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:35 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DCJEEP
So has anyone ever confirmed that it's more the weight not the size? I'm looking for new tires and I really want to go 37's but I'm not sure about the downside ( gas usage and stress) I drive a rubicon.

So some gussets and sleeves and I should be good to go?
for sure the weight of a big tire will be a drain on mpg but so will rolling resistance and, depending on the gear ratio you have, that'll make a difference as well. what i have found is that with my 37" falken wildpeak at's, i can still get about 13.5-14 mpg with ease. this is measurably more than what i was seeing back when i was running 37" toyo's and even 35" mtr's
Old 02-03-2011, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

i hear the cooper STT's are a pretty lightweight tire.... i think i remember reading a 35" Cooper STT is about 15 pounds lighter then a 35" Toyo M/T... thats a big difference... 60 pounds overall.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife

for sure the weight of a big tire will be a drain on mpg but so will rolling resistance and, depending on the gear ratio you have, that'll make a difference as well. what i have found is that with my 37" falken wildpeak at's, i can still get about 13.5-14 mpg with ease. this is measurably more than what i was seeing back when i was running 37" toyo's and even 35" mtr's
I posted this on another thread but thought it would be good to post here too.
Hear are my thoughts! Is it tire weight really?

A 37 km2 weighs 70 lbs according to tire rack. A lot of 35s are in the 80 lbs area. So reading Jp Mag. For every 10 pounds of tire weight equals 100 lbs of weight added to your jeep essential in performance and stopping. So looking at the d30 rotating the 37 it should be perfectly fine with a low weight tire regardless of height of the tire. Does this seem to make sense? So my thinking ita weight not size. Ex. Better to get 37 at 70 lbs versus 35 falken wild peak at 81 lbs. What y'all think?

Oh I have d30 up front with sleeve and gussets. Factory shafts on a 4 inch teraflex lift.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A 37" km2 is only the height of a 35" toyo... So compare true tire heights to get real answers.

Quick Reply: 37s. Whats the best road tire?