Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37s...what lift?

Old 10-12-2012, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 37s...what lift?

I have a '10 JKUR as a DD. I live in CO, go wheeling about every other weekend year round and have literally hit the limit on the stock Rubicon suspension a few times. (no damage that I know of yet...thankfully). Half the mileage is on the highway, about 35% in the city, the rest is wheeling. I'm seriously considering 37s and have been reading through a ton of threads on different lifts to utilize. Losing MPG isn't a large concern. My DDs over the past ten years really haven't been "normal" DDs. I do not want a body lift and do not want to do any body mods to fit the tires for full flex. I'm considering doing the lift on my own and the only thing I'm really not capable of is welding, but could possibly get some help.

What lift for no rubbing & no body mods? I'm looking at AEV 3.5" RS Dualsport, 4" Teraflex w/Full 8 flex arm sys, and a few others.
Do I have to re-gear with 4.10s already on for 37s?
Steering stabilizer?
Anyone in CO want to help re-flash the speedo?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in CO too, have an '08 Rubi with a 6-spd and stock 4.10's, w/37's and it doesnt do too bad. You would probably benefit from getting a Pro Cal and adjusting the speedo yourself, at least that might be the easiest route to go. Ive got a few buddies running that 3.5" AEV kit and 37's (one has the Toyos, Goodyears, and two others have the Nitto's), and we all wheel pretty frequently (pretty much every Sunday). My $.02 would be to run the AEV high steer kit (steering stabilizer), for the simplicity of it and overall cost of the kit is pretty low as well. We're all running stock fenders except for two, and the flex is pretty awesome!

*I am by no means a Jeep pro, just giving you some first hand experience*

Last edited by 1bad08Rubi; 10-12-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1bad08Rubi
Im in CO too, have an '08 Rubi with a 6-spd and stock 4.10's, w/37's and it doesnt do too bad.
Holy cow... I'm just up 70 from you a ways & mine on 35's is painful to drive... I can't imagine it on 37's!!! Granted, I start my day at 9k & go up... but still, I'm thinking higher gears as is!

Short story made long, I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on where you drive. If you drive up here a lot, you may be more bothered than driving down there. Even in Evergreen it's a notable improvement for me. (I'm an 08 with a 6 spd too btw)
Old 10-12-2012, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by backcountryislife
Holy cow... I'm just up 70 from you a ways & mine on 35's is painful to drive... I can't imagine it on 37's!!! Granted, I start my day at 9k & go up... but still, I'm thinking higher gears as is!

Short story made long, I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on where you drive. If you drive up here a lot, you may be more bothered than driving down there. Even in Evergreen it's a notable improvement for me. (I'm an 08 with a 6 spd too btw)
Ill be throwing gears in this thing eventually, but I guess I should have said that it is bearable to drive.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:10 PM
JK Freak

I'd do the teraflex 4" lift with front lowers, upper rears, longer brake lines, and trackbar up front.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

Default You guys need superchargers.

I don't think I would like 37" on the 4.11 and I'm at sea level. I'm use to driving things with HP. If they feel gutless I'm not happy driving it. Been down that road before with a few vehicles. I'm use to high HP like I said so maybe you'll be OK. If I was in CO I'd be getting a supercharger as soon or after they get all the bugs figured out. The tire graph on the Stick section just above shows what it would feel like. I'm going with 35" on the 4.11 ratio and that is just a little sluggish says the graph. 5sp JKR13. Your probably going to need a regear. I'd rather have something that isn't too big and drives OK than something sluggish but looks great. We all need to win the lotto!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Opalgem
We all need to win the lotto!
I'm about to head to a snowmobile show & gun show under one roof tomorrow... ain't THAT the truth!!!!

btw, I'd say bearable is what mine is on 35's... not horrid per se, but getting out of my tuned TDI or my Cummins... it feels like hamster power.

Put it in 4L 1st gear though... and it's juuust fine!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Opalgem
If I was in CO I'd be getting a supercharger as soon or after they get all the bugs figured out. The tire graph on the Stick section just above shows what it would feel like.

I hear ya on the HP. My other car is a supercharged with a racing clutch and doesn't do well in the winter here (and we'll leave it at that). Makes up for a lot at the higher density altitudes that frequently exceed 9-10K up here. The actual wheeling up at at altitude at the slower speeds you do not notice a lack of power. It's only on the highways that you really notice the loss of power with the JKUR 6-spd. I'm just worried that it'll be a VERY noticeable loss with 37s and 4.10s. Sounds like I should consider 4.88s or 5.13s?

"Ive got a few buddies running that 3.5" AEV kit and 37's"

Do they have rubbing issues with the 3.5"? I'm thinking keeping the lift as low as possible will help in the steering dept, but I'm no whiz-kid with the JK suspension. Thoughts?
Old 10-12-2012, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

I hear ya on the power part, trust me. One of my other rigs is an '06 Ram Cummins that's not so stock and still kicks ass in the snow. Ha ha.

I guess I knew that I wasn't getting a hot rod with a JKUR, but knew that I could always make more power with it, if I really got to that point. My plan is 4.88's and a RIPP Stg 2 system.

The two Jeeps that are running the Nittos, have those XRC replacement panels and don't seem to have many rubbing issues. The '13 JKU-R with the Toyos, rubs on the factory flares and the '13 JKU-S running the Goodyears, rubs with some pretty good articulation. Keep in mind, probably one of the more fun trails we've done was Chinaman's.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just a thought as well, but 1" body lifts aren't like they used to be on the TJs...you wont see any body gap issues, and it's another inch of clearance for very cheap. I honestly would recommend it for most.

-Adam

Quick Reply: 37s...what lift?