Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37s under 4" lift in New Jersey?

Old 05-05-2008, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 37s under 4" lift in New Jersey?

I got the JK. I got the budget. I want 37s under a 4" lift.

Did anybody actually pass state inspection in NEW JERSEY with 37s or 35s (which one?) and a 4" lift? Meaning do you have that second sticker on your windshield? Was it put there by a state inspector or a shady private garage owner?

I know it is supposed to be OK as far as the two rules most folks look at (1. tires 37" max, 2. 9" above stock max), but what about all the other rules.

If with 37s it is not clear then I might just go with 35s.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SilverRubi2,

Sent you a PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where did u get those rules from? never heard those before
Old 05-05-2008, 08:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Its 7" total, for tire/lift combined....and you can't get larger than 37's for the GVWR (Its a weight based system, do not ask me why...)

If you get a 4" lift, that leaves 3" of tire lift before you get to the 7" maximum.

As 32's are the OEM size, you'd have to go 6" taller in diameter to add 3" of height, or to a 38" tire...but, your GVWR would have to hit 7,500 lb to allow 38's....so, with a GVWR of ~ 5,500 LB or so, the JK's can get 37's or less....adding 2.5" instead of 3".

So - you can run a 4 or 5" SL, and 37's, under the NJ Inspection Nazi's rules.

Being NJ, this is typically open to daily re-interpretation by anyone you meet during the inspection process.

BTW - Lets say you FAIL the inspection because they determine (They slide a thing under your JK, and if its above what THEY say is the "stock height"...you fail) that you are too tall....its NOT OVER...

...ALL you then have to do is come back later (Days...) and take a Stability Test.

This is a test to see if your sorry ass will flip over in an emergency maneuver, etc.

If you flip, crash, kill by standers, etc...well, then you fail that too, and get to take off some height.

If you pass that, you have to keep the test cert on board at all times, in case the local constabulary wants to spot check you, etc...but, you get to KEEP ALL THE HEIGHT.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverRubi2
I got the JK. I got the budget. I want 37s under a 4" lift.

Did anybody actually pass state inspection in NEW JERSEY with 37s or 35s (which one?) and a 4" lift? Meaning do you have that second sticker on your windshield? Was it put there by a state inspector or a shady private garage owner?

I know it is supposed to be OK as far as the two rules most folks look at (1. tires 37" max, 2. 9" above stock max), but what about all the other rules.

If with 37s it is not clear then I might just go with 35s.
Do you have restrictions back there on lift hight and have to go through inspection?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by YankeeJim
Do you have restrictions back there on lift hight and have to go through inspection?
Yes - NJ does, see post above yours.

Quick Reply: 37s under 4" lift in New Jersey?