Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37s Stock 3.73 Gears?

Old 06-06-2011, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by genesbro
If you are not going to crawl the Jeep why do you need big tires?
X2 - Is it really worth losing MPG just to look good in your rig? I'll be honest I just don't get why people lift their rigs and throw giant tires on if they are not going to go offroad. It's ridiculously expensive

Cost of 37's - $1200
Cost of 4' lift - $3000
Cost of MPG(assuming a loss of only 3MPG) - $750-900/Year MORE (Or 200-240 gallons more per year)
Total- Close to $5k, just your first year!! Not to mention replacement cost in the future for tires. You'll also need new wheels or spacers to fit the tire.

Does anyone else feel this way or am I just crazy?

So is it worth it to spend $5k just to look cool?

If you re-gear you can add $1200 to that. $6200??? Jesus... Just to look cool?
Old 06-06-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scooter Scott

WOL also has a 6 speed....if you are talking an auto then it's going to be more painful than watching 2 grown men riding a motorcycle together

Please don't ask me how I know this...I don't want to remember
This is very true. Guess i never consider the distinction between the two. I have never owned an auto, I'll leave those for the girls lol
Old 06-06-2011, 07:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepairforce
X2 - Is it really worth losing MPG just to look good in your rig?

Some of us need all the help we can get, so, yep.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

X2 - Is it really worth losing MPG just to look good in your rig? I'll be honest I just don't get why people lift their rigs and throw giant tires on if they are not going to go offroad. It's ridiculously expensive

Cost of 37's - $1200
Cost of 4' lift - $3000
Cost of MPG(assuming a loss of only 3MPG) - $750-900/Year MORE (Or 200-240 gallons more per year)
Total- Close to $5k, just your first year!! Not to mention replacement cost in the future for tires. You'll also need new wheels or spacers to fit the tire.

I knew I should have just bought a used minivan or a used pick-up truck. Then run 'em into the ground as beaters. No point in looking cool in your car - what have I been thinking??!! Are we seriously on this website questioning peoples spending habits?
Old 06-06-2011, 07:42 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by WCDAVE

I knew I should have just bought a used minivan or a used pick-up truck. Then run 'em into the ground as beaters. No point in looking cool in your car - what have I been thinking??!! Are we seriously on this website questioning peoples spending habits?
Another kitten smitten
Old 06-06-2011, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WCDAVE
I just dropped $7k into my jeep in the last 2 weeks. I'm not one to give advice, but I take my jeep offroad and USE what I bought. I've just never understood lifting a car/jeep/truck and throwing some serious rubber down unless you are going to use it for the intended purpose.

To me, it's like buying a 60' plasma, but never turning it on. Buying a vacation home, but never visiting it. Joining a country club but you don't play golf.

Only making an observation.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:01 PM
JK Junkie

I have to agree to a certain point.

37s never seeing the rocks is worse than a Shakespearen tragedy. They would probably rather die than go another moment without the others loving touch
Old 06-06-2011, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sa29560
I have to agree to a certain point.

37s never seeing the rocks is worse than a Shakespearen tragedy. They would probably rather die than go another moment without the others loving touch
My tires start to droop if they haven't seen dirt or rock in a week.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:47 PM
JK Freak

Cost of 37's - $1200
Cost of 4' lift - $3000

When can I get five 37s for 1200?!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jerseyjkredneck
I wasnt too worried about beefing up my d30 yet aside from cgussets also i never plan to crawl my jeep. If i hav extra cash though ill def beef it up for piece of mind.
Just get the gussets if you are doing street driving. I was spinning my front A LOT yesterday and had no issues, although I have stock 3.73 gearing and the front does not have a locker. I do carry a set of spare front shafts in case something does happen. To be honest, I was really suprised my 30 held up. I left about a fint layer of rubber from my front passanger tire tring to get un-high-centered. You could smell the rubber burning. Then I drove the Jeep 60 miles to home.

I have been running 37's and 3.73 for 6 months now and I have the 6 spd. I get about 16 MPG city and about 18-19 highway. I go 60 MPH on the highway and have the superchips set on the "tow" tune. The only down part is off roading, especially with the 2.72 T-Case. There is quiet a bit of stalling on the big rocky stuff.

Quick Reply: 37s Stock 3.73 Gears?