Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37's on sahara 18 wheel question help

Old 12-01-2013, 09:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 37's on sahara 18 wheel question help

Hey everyone, I know you all have heard this question before but I must ask again on opinions. I found a stellar deal on Falken wildpeak AT 37x13.50r18's shipped to my door for 900 bucks. I read on here that it isnt recommend on the stock sahara wheels due to the wheel width only being 7.5, and backspacing. My buddy gave me a set of 1.5 spacers from his JK when he ran his stock wheels and 35's. I would like to know how safe can i get away with this 13.50 tire on my stock sahara wheels with the wheel spacers, can I get away with driving on those tires on my wheels while I pony up for the wheels I want? Im asking this last minute because the extra savings ends monday night because of the black friday weekend cyber monday sale. The coupon helps bring it all down under 900 bucks with shipping for all four tires. Otherwise Im looking at 1200 bucks to run the same tire but on my current 16" wheels. Play nice folks, I want some serious opinions. I'd like to ride this new tires rather than put them in storage till I get some wheels, my current 35's are almost done
Old 12-02-2013, 01:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Running them on the stock rims until you get around to buying the new rims won't be a problem , just mess with the psi to get a good contact patch. But, your corrected backspace will only be around 4.75", on a tire spec'd at 36.5" x 14.4".
They're gonna rub.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to find the write-up on adjusting the steering stops.

I am running the 325/80/16 falkens, spec'd at 36.3 x 13.1, with 4.5 BS rims and about 5" of lift, and they're rubbing enough (while turning and hitting anything that compresses the front end) that I decided not to mess with the stops and am looking for new rims. Haven't spent any time yet flexing and testing to see where exactly it's rubbing, but maybe the swaybar in front of the tires and maybe the lower ca's behind the tires. Think I need to let it get dirtier to see some rub marks.

Last edited by nthinuf; 12-02-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:37 AM
JK Junkie

You'll be good until you get new wheels. Plan on getting some by XMas, and don't try making a U-turn on across 2 lanes. In other words, don't get them to full turn, you'll find it when you go to drive.

I have 4"of lift and 33" tires, but been running my tires in stock 17" wheels since stock height. They needed the 1.5 " spacers because I could turn the tire into the side. Little memory and caution when taking really sharp turns, and all was swell until I got my spacers on.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A while back I was running 37x12.50 tires on my stock rubi wheels with 1.5" spider trax spacers in a 2.5" lift. I had to add 3 washers to each steering stop so the tires wouldn't rub the frame at full turn.
Now I have ATX SLABS with 3.5" backspace with the same tires and I removed all the washers from the steering stops with no rubbing issues at all
Old 12-02-2013, 06:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I would not recommend running that big of tire on the factory wheels even with spacers. Tires will store in the garage until you can get new wheels if they are such a deal you can't pass them up. You will want a net wheel bs of around 3"-3.25" for that size tire.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would not recommend running that big of tire on the factory wheels even with spacers. Tires will store in the garage until you can get new wheels if they are such a deal you can't pass them up. You will want a net wheel bs of around 3"-3.25" for that size tire.
I agree. 12.50" is about the limit that I would want to run on the stock wheel. Not only for safety, but tire wear.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:12 AM
JK Freak

Decided to get wheels first before tires

Quick Reply: 37's on sahara 18 wheel question help