Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37's and rear pinch seam...

Old 03-22-2012, 06:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 37's and rear pinch seam...

So, I recently put on my 37's and prior to bringing them to the shop to put on, I trimmed my pinch seams as its required when you run 37's. Needless to say, my buddy now wants 37's. His father happens to own a shop that ordered 37's for someone and they never picked em up. So, his father has them at the shop. My friend wants to put em on tomorrow while his father will be at the shop and mount them for him but he hasn't trimmed his pinch seams yet.

My question is, can he put them on just to drive home without slicing his tire? I wouldn't know cause I trimmed mine before putting them on... they wont rub or cut the tire just driving on the street, right? Pretty sure he'll be ok, just wanted a 2nd opinion though....

Thanks all....
Old 03-22-2012, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

If it were me I'd trim them seams 'cause if he hits a bump in the road they will get into the tire. There is very little clearance between the seam and the surface of the tire like 1/4 in
Old 03-22-2012, 06:27 PM
JK Junkie

That close huh? Well, he lives id say a mile from his fathers shop, if that... which is 35 mph the most. Worse comes to worse, he'll just have to bang the seam back and then finish up at his house...
Old 03-22-2012, 06:47 PM
JK Freak

It depends on what lift he has. Does he have new control arms that move the rear axle back? I prolly wouldn't risk it with a tire that is so expensive. Its something that will need to be done anyway.
Why not just do it first. Only takes a few mins.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:51 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't understand, tomorrow is friday. Worse comes to worse, he trims the pinch seam at some point this weekend, and then gets his tires. doesn't his father own the shop? Whats the rush?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:51 PM
JK Junkie

Hes got a 3.5" lift, just springs and shocks. No control arms to move axle back. Yea, I'm sure he could, he just wanted to get in, have them mounted, and get out ya know? I'll tell em to just whack em back.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a bfh and be done with it! That's what I did.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:54 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by sneck
I don't understand, tomorrow is friday. Worse comes to worse, he trims the pinch seam at some point this weekend, and then gets his tires. doesn't his father own the shop? Whats the rush?
Trust me, I said that to him... he is just way impatient. They are at the shop, he can get em on early before the shop gets busy, and then say he has "37's" yes, he is a reTARD.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 PM
JK Junkie

I'm gonna tell him he'll blow both of the rears, cause really, he will... maybe that'll change his mind and have him slow down a little...
Old 03-22-2012, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

It takes a couple mins a side to trim the seams with an angle grinder. Will he be fine not doing it, probably. I went a month and was fine.

Quick Reply: 37's and rear pinch seam...