Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37's on a NON Rubi

Old 04-18-2009, 02:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 37's on a NON Rubi

Any one out there running 37"s on there "X" I am aware that the front is only a 30. I am interested in how much lift that you have to fit them and how you like them on the road. Auto or stick, (mine is auto) This Jeep is a pavement pounder. So rubbing isues for street driving . Any info would be great.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

2wd X, auto, 5" lift, 37x13.5, no rubbing, I like them, rides about the same as my 35's did.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

you can actually get away with a 2.5'' lift with a 1'' body lift and flat fender flares, there's some guy on this forum with that setup and 37's and doesn't rub offroad but don't quote me
Old 04-19-2009, 07:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're never going to off-road, then much of what you read on this site isn't the most cost-effective way to get you to where you're going. Understand that most of us use our Jeeps off-road, which means that we're willing to part with more money in order to get the performance (read suspension articulation) that we want.

-A body lift can get you 1" or 2" of clearance.

-Flat fenders (either Xenons or the Sawzall mod) will get you another 2"

-A spacer lift can get you another 2" of clearance without making a dramatic change in road manners or requiring driveshaft changes. You can even use shock adapters instead of buying new shocks to keep the cost down.

I'd wager that three or four inches of total lift will let you run 37's. (EDIT: As long as you're not looking at going off-road) You can pick which way is best suited to what you want to do. Just keep in mind that you'll most likely need to run wheel spacers or buy wheels with less backspacing than stock to avoid rubbing on suspension components.

If you're not worried about rub under flex, there's actually some leeway. I've even seen a guy running 35X12.5R17's on a stock Rubi with NO mods...not even wheel spacers. He said that the wider tires rubbed on the bottom of his rear sway bar links, so he just took them off

Last edited by w squared; 04-19-2009 at 07:55 AM. Reason: For clarity
Old 04-19-2009, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

check out this thread for planmans set-up: 2.5" BB, 1" BL, flat fenders, and 37s. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/37s-only-2-5bb-77673/
Old 04-20-2009, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have 37's on a 4 inch unlimited and had rubbing on the pinch seam when off-road. No rubbing when hitting just pavement.

I cut the pinch seam and I am fine.

I doubt anything less than 4 inches will sustain a 37 tire... Just my opinion.

Are you planning on re-gearing as well?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you are gonna actually wheel your Jeep though, you need to beef up the D30 for sure!!! Chromoly shafts and what not would be a VERY good investment... Unless you just wanna rip up the axle shaft and have an excuse to upgrade to a D44 haha
Old 04-20-2009, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr.ZAP
If you are gonna actually wheel your Jeep though, you need to beef up the D30 for sure!!! Chromoly shafts and what not would be a VERY good investment... Unless you just wanna rip up the axle shaft and have an excuse to upgrade to a D44 haha
Pretty much what this guy said. You might as well say goodbye to your u-joints and yokes if you plan on doing some wheeling and get stuck.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by camo660grizzly
you can actually get away with a 2.5'' lift with a 1'' body lift and flat fender flares, there's some guy on this forum with that setup and 37's and doesn't rub offroad but don't quote me
That setup looks good. I think that optima jeep runs that. Posting a picture is a lot of work for me so just google it. If I could do it all over again that is how I would go.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:26 PM
JK Freak

Thanx for all of the info on this. I have 3" now and was thinking a BL would make some room for some 37"s .

Quick Reply: 37's on a NON Rubi