Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37s, no fenders, no lift.. Will it work? For now..

Old 09-09-2014, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like the 1" daystar body lift, trimmed pinch seams, 1.5" wheel spacers and either trimmed or removed factory flares should do the job for the time being. It should only be about a month before the RK lift goes on and flares so I will just stick to the pavement to avoid any major risk of damage.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

be sure to post some pics
Old 09-09-2014, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Absolutely! Just trying to do it all right the first time. I went from wanting 33s to 35s and now 37s which I what I really wanted. Glad I never bought the others. I plan to continue to build the D30 or just get a D44 down the line. Im in FL so the majority is mud and wetlands, occational climbing spots out in ocala.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:03 PM
JK Newbie

Everything minus the lift should be here this week. I added the 1" daystar body lift and a full set of 1.5" Spydertrax spacers. I won't be using the stock fenders or bumper after they are replaced in a few months so i am just going to trim it all if needed. I just hope that even sticking to the pavement the daystar 1" body lift and spydertrax spacers will keep me rub free.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:23 AM
JK Freak

I ran with 37's, no lift, cut fenders and front bumper, dropped the rear bumper entirely, trimmed pinch seams (a lot), added wheel spacers bringing me down to 3.5" bs until I added my lift.

After lift and other mods...

Old 09-16-2014, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

Thats awesome D3ADLY, so I know it can be done. Looks pretty good too even for just a temporary setup. I see you are running 13.5" wide Toyos, were you rubbing at all?
Old 09-16-2014, 06:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My buddy was rubbing like crazy every time he would hit a bump or come out of his drive way on the whole pinch seam!
Old 09-16-2014, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKFLO14
Thats awesome D3ADLY, so I know it can be done. Looks pretty good too even for just a temporary setup. I see you are running 13.5" wide Toyos, were you rubbing at all?
Yes. With no lift and the 1.5" Spydertrax spacers, at about 75% turn left or right the tires would start rubbing on the frame. The tires according to specs are an actual 14.6" wide, so maybe they're a bit wide for a 13.50 tire? I don't know for sure. I would think a 14.50 would be more appropriately rated but I'm not a tire pro so what do I know. ><

Also even with cut pinch seams any dip in the road or decent bump would cause the tires to rub on the metal of the pinch seam area. So I eventually got tired of it and just hacked the hell out of it. It still rubbed but it would take a much larger bump or the entire weight of the jeep to drop several inches like on a big dip/drop on a bridge at highway speeds.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

Hmmm, maybe its just worth waiting for my RK 3.5 lift. Its gunna be a bit longer but I dont want to cut more than needed or take a chunk out of a tire.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKFLO14
Hmmm, maybe its just worth waiting for my RK 3.5 lift. Its gunna be a bit longer but I dont want to cut more than needed or take a chunk out of a tire.
I am running 35" general grabbers now and have no lift, it rubs pretty bad so I would have to say that you are going to have to do some serious cutting/banging to get it to clear 37's. I would just wait it out if it was me, or do 35's instead.

Quick Reply: 37s, no fenders, no lift.. Will it work? For now..