Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37s - Good aggressive AT or Mild MT

Old 07-21-2016, 07:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

There is really nothing that is equivalent to the Duratrac in a 37" tire.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you seen the new General Grabber X3? They will be released in the fall. They are on General Tire's website. I have had Grabber AT2s on my ZJ and WJ and they were excellent tires. I'll need to replace my Nitto Trail Grapplers in about 10K mikes and will be giving the X3s a look.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:14 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

NITTO has the ridge grappler coming out this fall as well that looks to be a tire you might consider if you can wait.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
NITTO has the ridge grappler coming out this fall as well that looks to be a tire you might consider if you can wait.
The little I have heard about these tires is that they are designed for 3/4 ton plus pickups that haul or pull heavy loads. I think I saw a FB or YouTube video with a Nitto rep specifically saying they weren't the best Jeep application. Has anyone else heard this or have thoughts otherwise? I like the look of these tired as well.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Alost all of the 37" tires available are designed for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Its hard to find a good 37" tire designed for a jeep as they are not a good fit for a daily driver jeep.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is really nothing that is equivalent to the Duratrac in a 37" tire.
I'm curious as too why you would not consider the STT Pro equivalent or similar to the Duratrac in performance? I would call both an extreme all terrain, but the STT Pro with a more aggressive sidewall tread for when air down or while in ruts. From my perspective, I would place them on pretty even ground with each other.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by japatton@icloud.com
The little I have heard about these tires is that they are designed for 3/4 ton plus pickups that haul or pull heavy loads. I think I saw a FB or YouTube video with a Nitto rep specifically saying they weren't the best Jeep application. Has anyone else heard this or have thoughts otherwise? I like the look of these tired as well.
That is more or less based on load rating. Most MT's come in a load E which is for heavy trucks. Lots of guys run load E on jeeps and works fine if you don't mind the ride quality. Generally creates a stronger side wall. Nitto has created a few select sizes in a load F for the really heavy crowd. I believe most of the load F's are for the 20-22in wheel crowd. Load C is ideal for a jeep. I've ran E's and personally don't mind the ride quality
Old 07-22-2016, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

My Trail Grapplers are D since it's my daily driver. I liked the Toyo MTs, but choose the Nittos for the lower load range for improved ride.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've run 35" C rated MTR/K's at 28psi (chalk tested) and 37" E rated STT Pro's and Toyo MT's at 26psi (chalk tested). I'll be damned if I could tell any difference in ride quality outside of the MTR/K's wobbling because they wouldn't balance and one was out of round.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Alost all of the 37" tires available are designed for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Its hard to find a good 37" tire designed for a jeep as they are not a good fit for a daily driver jeep.
This is true. Ideally a C or D load rating would be best depending on the weight of the rig. These heavier tires are good for durability and sidewall strength though.

The Nitto Ridge Grappler will be no more different than the other 37's available, but they are offering them in an F load rating for heavy 1 tons that will be towing. The 37x12.5017 will be offered in a reasonable D load rating, which will be fine for the JK.

Quick Reply: 37s - Good aggressive AT or Mild MT