Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37s?

Old 04-03-2012, 01:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 37s?

Ive heard that with 37s you need new axle shafts. Some people tell me that is true and some say it's not, what are your opinions? Ohh and I got a Dana 44 front
Old 04-03-2012, 02:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by green pup79
Ive heard that with 37s you need new axle shafts. Some people tell me that is true and some say it's not, what are your opinions? Ohh and I got a Dana 44 front
I have 37's. I did a 5 week long road trip with a 2 day venture on the rubicon trail 2 years ago and so far the stock 44's have held up just fine, shafts included. However I do have C2 Front Axle Reinforcements. They're needed for 37's!

Here is the write up for them.
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...cement-gussets
Old 04-03-2012, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

Default 37"

I have 37's on my rig with a 3.5" RE long arm kit. Put Teraflex drive shafts on to handle the stretch along with 5:13 gears.

So far 40k miles on it, BUT, I did have to replace the constant velocity joint on the rear shaft about a month ago. I had the drive shaft guy add an inch to the overall length to try and take the binding out of the joint. So far, so good.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Like the others have said. 37's on D44 will be just fine, as long as you gusset the C's, and might want to sleeve the axle.
My D44 with stock axles have held up over 3 years of heavy wheeling, and have yet to snap an axle. However, I do anticipate one happening reasonably soon.
They can't stay whole forever. With that in mind, keep an eye open for used axle shafts being sold on the forum and pick them up at a fraction of the price.

I have 2 set of front axle shafts and 3 sets for the rear. When you break on the trails, try locating a D44 Rubicon spliced axle shaft in the middle of nowhere, if you don't have spares, your weekend of wheeling might be over.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi all,

Unfortunately, this weekend I took my new 37s out and in first hour blew up rear right d44 oem shaft. Took housing with it unfortunately. Was at Jamboree - experienced techs were surprised - usually its front that goes especially when locked and not hotdogging.

Anyway, wish I had done alloys in rear as I had considered (I did sleeve and gusset d30 and so far ok there).

Buying new d44 housing and, of course, alloy shafts!

Quick Reply: 37s?