Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37s on 2 door Rubi.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoraBora
Just be prepared to change your rear driveshaft if you're still running a stock one. It'll go real fast on a 2 door vs a 4 door. Be prepared to trim the rear wheel wells too. I had to cut a nice bit off the rear so it wouldn't cut my tires under full compression.
I know it has a bad reputation, but instead of trimming wheel wells, what about a 1.25 " body lift?
The following users liked this post:
jcull35 (11-22-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I wouldn't. It might save your tires a bit, but you're much better off trimming a wheel wells a bit. A body lift will give you a bit more clearance, but that all goes out the window once you stuff the rear hard enough.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

You could just add bump stop and size the shocks accordingly to keep from trimming the body. If you are just driving around town it won't make any difference.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

So, I did a thing:Click image for larger version

Name:	photo202.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	677681

Will be trimming the fenders/going to flats sometime soon. Does ok, as is, driving around on the road.
The following 2 users liked this post by tjkamp:
JkuJkurTjJtrJk (12-26-2020), Maui BeachBum (12-18-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 04:36 AM
syr
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a problem recalibrating the speedo with 37s on a manual trans,
cruise control quit working on 6th gear...no matter I try, every tire size bigger than 35 let the cruise control down on just the 6th gear.
5th and lower are ok,
no problem with 35 and smaller

programmed via jscan and xgate by xquattro

anyone with the same issue?
The following users liked this post:
JkuJkurTjJtrJk (12-26-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 04:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Originally Posted by syr
I had a problem recalibrating the speedo with 37s on a manual trans,
cruise control quit working on 6th gear...no matter I try, every tire size bigger than 35 let the cruise control down on just the 6th gear.
5th and lower are ok,
no problem with 35 and smaller
Not sure why you'd have trouble calibrating speedo as you just need to keep changing the tire size till it's right. What gear ratio are you running? Could be possible that in 6th gear there's just so much stress on the tranny it's not letting you use cruise. In an auto it would simply downshift you but the jeep doesn't have that control with the 6-speed so it is just killing cruise. That is just what I presume is happening.
Old 12-24-2020, 05:14 AM
syr
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Not sure why you'd have trouble calibrating speedo as you just need to keep changing the tire size till it's right.
the recalibration itself is ok, speedo get fixed with proper speed actually
What gear ratio are you running?
I'm in 4.10 rubi stock
Could be possible that in 6th gear there's just so much stress on the tranny it's not letting you use cruise. In an auto it would simply downshift you but the jeep doesn't have that control with the 6-speed so it is just killing cruise. That is just what I presume is happening.
sounds interesting, but I'm not so sure the manual trans is capable of that.
moreover, it's work that way even in slight down slope, so stress seems to be not a part of the equation
it just doesn't kick it, just like when you'r speed is too slow
Old 12-24-2020, 05:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I'v had 3.6L, auto, 4.10s with 37s and know my 5th gear was bout non-existent. I really don't know how that translates to the 6-speed though. Can only say 4.10s and 37s will wear you down......primarily on the high-end on highways moreso than low-end around town. I put up with it for about 9 months and then it was regear time. I still think the gearing/engine/tranny are coming into play with the tire size and cruise. Curious to hear if anyone else has a thought though. It's just my hypothesis.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:59 AM
syr
JK Newbie

I'v had 3.6L, auto, 4.10s with 37s and know my 5th gear was bout non-existent. I really don't know how that translates to the 6-speed though.
I had the chance to try a manual with 4.88 but with the 6speed doesn't look that needed to me... I mean, at least for the way I drive...
Can only say 4.10s and 37s will wear you down......primarily on the high-end on highways moreso than low-end around town. I put up with it for about 9 months and then it was regear time.
you mean the gears wearing? I get to my spots within 60km (37miles) of "highway" @ 55mph, then just trails.
moreover, soloing a lot, I simply go where tires and lockers let me go with no effort, if it doesn't climb by itself, I change the route.
I'm trying to convince myself that the way I keep my rig will end in last for long time

I still think the gearing/engine/tranny are coming into play with the tire size and cruise. Curious to hear if anyone else has a thought though. It's just my hypothesis.
I'd bet on some kind of limitation, misread value for security feature or something like that, but your one sounds closer to a real scenario

Old 12-24-2020, 07:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by syr
I had the chance to try a manual with 4.88 but with the 6speed doesn't look that needed to me... I mean, at least for the way I drive...

you mean the gears wearing? I get to my spots within 60km (37miles) of "highway" @ 55mph, then just trails.
moreover, soloing a lot, I simply go where tires and lockers let me go with no effort, if it doesn't climb by itself, I change the route.
I'm trying to convince myself that the way I keep my rig will end in last for long time
Sorry, no, gears were mechanically fine, just more an expression about me getting tired of "dealing" with sluggishness and such. Sorry, forget you're overseas and expressions might be interpreted differently. Also, at your "highway" speeds maybe not the same issues, and with the 6-speed you have more control. Our highway speeds over here are more like 70-80mph, and with the 5-speed auto and 37s when you're going that fast if the person in the car ahead of you farts it's enough of a headwind to make the jeep downshift to 4th. ....hence 5th gear becomes practically useless unless cruising on flat land on a calm day. 4.10s with 37s didn't really bother me just around town, it was all longer-distance highway driving with all the downshifting and no high-end power unless you shifted down to 3rd and the RPMs skyrocketed. I don't think you'll have an issue offroad at all with the gearing. Once that TC goes to 4Lo you'll have plenty of power for what you do.

Quick Reply: 37s on 2 door Rubi.