Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which 37" tyre to pick??

Old 05-24-2017, 04:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mdash
This comment literally mad me laugh out loud. I've gone through a pretty decent selection of tires on my Jeep and other vehicles. I would put the MTR up against any other radial tire on the market in snow and ice. It's all about the correct pressure for the conditions. The only other radial I'd compare to the MTR in those conditions are the new Cooper SST Pro or the Trxus MT's.

The one knock I do have against the MTR is they do get loud.... but, they are on a jeep, that rarely has a top or full doors on it so I don't really care.
I second this lol....when people talk about tires they've never owned

My MTR's kick ass (except between 45-50 mph where they shimmy, but who cares... they grip rocks like crazy, clear mud well, and look sweet.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoraBora
I second this lol....when people talk about tires they've never owned My MTR's kick ass (except between 45-50 mph where they shimmy, but who cares... they grip rocks like crazy, clear mud well, and look sweet.
I agree with the MTR shimmy at 45-50. Mine do the exact same thing. No problems on the rocks at all...even though they are at 15% tread. The problem I have with them is how they balance....it is horrible and they pull to the left. I will be trying a different tire this time around. Just an honest opinion from an owner.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 05-24-2017, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

Can you not get the Cooper Discoverer ST MAX? It's in 37x 12 X17 and it was reviewed in Australia on YouTube.

http://www.coopertires.com.au/our-ra...-tyres/stmaxx/
Old 05-24-2017, 07:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Love my Good Year MTR Ks. Although in a 35 instead of a 37. They are loud, but I don't really care. They get amazing traction in rocks, and the little bit I have played in mud they do very well. On road traction is great also, they handle wet roads 10x better than my stock Rubi tires did even though the Rubi tires were narrower. Idk!

Honestly they aren't wearing very fast. I am doing a 5 tire rotation, but I have 30,000 miles (around 50,000k) and I am still 75%tread or better. I love them, and likely won't ever buy a different make of tire for my Jeep ever again.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BuckLisa
Can you not get the Cooper Discoverer ST MAX? It's in 37x 12 X17 and it was reviewed in Australia on YouTube.

S/TMAXX - Cooper Tires
I don't know about that review, but Cooper Tyres have an extremely bad reputation in Australia. They're slowly coming back with the STT Pro, but even that's struggling.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:55 AM
JK Newbie

Not sure what exactly kind of tire you are looking for.... there are many for all kinds of different terrain. If rock crawling here are some options...
Sticky4x4Tires.com | Competition Compound & Sticky Off-Road Tires
Old 05-25-2017, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronW
Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies!!

My options for 37" tyres pretty much are;

Hankook Dynapro MT
Goodyear Wrangler MT
BFG KM2 (I don't want these as they measure small and I've seen them have chunks out quite easily)
Mickey Thompson ATZ P3
Mickey Thompson MTZ
Mickey Thompson Claws
Mickey Thompson Deegan 38

Toyo - unavailable
Nitto - unavailable
Cooper STT Pro - love the look of these, but only available in 13.50 wide for the 37", which is much too wide for Australian laws...

As for the use, I daily drive 80km (50 miles), but don't mind highway noise (I've had federals for 2 years! lol)
I've considered getting all terrains as obviously I do a lot more on-road driving, but I love having muddies too much for the look and the usability offroad, I'm willing to sacrifice tyre mileage for that. **EDIT** There's no snow!!

At this point I think I will put on the 4x goodyears I have that are 40-50% tread and try and find a cheap spare. Then when they wear out I may even try and get some Nittos imported, or at least have experience with the goodyears to decide if I want to continue using them

Based upon what you described and BFG KM2's being available, you might want to add the BFG KO2's onto your consideration list. They're one of the top all around good performers.

Tirerack.com is a good source of information, to get a feel of what others who have bought a particular tire think of them, and shows user ratings and reviews, so you can dig deeper into their actual uses and experience with a particular tire. Tirerack.com is like Amazon for tires.

Here are the overall user ratings of the MTR's that you're familiar with. So you can compare other's experience ratings and reviews to your actual experience to see how they correspond.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...FR+with+Kevlar
MTR User Ratings

Here are the BFG KO2 user ratings
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rain+T%2FA+KO2
KO2 user ratings

It sounds like you don't have to worry about icy conditions. My best friend has an F150 with MTRs, I have KO2s on my JKU and when we would go out when the roads were icy conditions, he made me drive. The KO2's are quiet on road, so if noise doesn't bother you, then they might not be for you. If you like a more aggressive look, the Mickey Thompson's you're looking at are nice tires and everyone that has gotten them, speaks highly of them.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-25-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BoraBora
I second this lol....when people talk about tires they've never owned My MTR's kick ass (except between 45-50 mph where they shimmy, but who cares... they grip rocks like crazy, clear mud well, and look sweet.
Yes they were great tires for me Offroad and wore nicely. The shimmy you described drove me crazy though forcing me to sell them after 40k miles. I've been running trail grapplers ever since and to be honest I liked my Mtrs better on the rocks but onroad the nittos get the nod. I drive 22k miles per year so I needed something more road friendly
Old 05-25-2017, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
Yes they were great tires for me Offroad and wore nicely. The shimmy you described drove me crazy though forcing me to sell them after 40k miles. I've been running trail grapplers ever since and to be honest I liked my Mtrs better on the rocks but onroad the nittos get the nod. I drive 22k miles per year so I needed something more road friendly
What you describe seems to correspond with user ratings from others on tirerack.com in regards to the comfort properties. Noise=6.2, comfort=7.3.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Mtr's suck .. check out the new Nitto Trail Grapplers great tire.
Lol, I would love to hear why.

Quick Reply: Which 37" tyre to pick??