Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which 37" tire would you pick?

Old 10-15-2012, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run the KM2 in a 33" tire. When I was going to 37's I talked with several people who wheel here (in Colorado) and on this forum and they talked me out of the MTR/K. They said they had problems with balancing. I was actually pulling the trigger on a set but switched last minute to the Mud Grapplers, and have been happy with them for almost 2 years now. I will keep buying the Mud grapplers till Nitto stops making them...if they ever do! I sometimes feel like a wasted money for buying a spare. I run them at 8 PSI on the trail and have yet to have a problem! I also never had a problem with ware and balancing with my KM2. I really liked them too!
Old 10-16-2012, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by open_speed
I don't understand this fear of weight on tires. Jeepers are known for putting on heavy bumpers, heavy winches and heavy racks all over their Jeeps. But with tires, there is this big fear of weight on tires. Yes, of course I realize it causes some more wear and tear, but so do all these other items that are put on the Jeep. Most of all however, weight is actually a good thing to have on the lowest possible point on the Jeep, it helps keep all four on the ground. Moreover, having to constantly worry about your sidewalls isn't much fun either. Ask WoL what he thinks about this.
I don't mean to derail this thread's main topic, but my engineering background is coming out of me when the fear of weight of tires/wheels is thought not to be an issue. Not sure if you are meaning what's on the "Jeep" (sprung weight), or what composes the unsprung weight (tires/wheels/suspension). I'm not sure how to best describe how much more of a difference adding fifty pounds to your 'sprung weight' of bumpers by shedding the plastic and going to steal versus adding that same weight to the tires and wheels or the 'unsprung' portion of your vehicle is. Essentially there are trade-offs going both ways and perhaps our friend wiki can at least shed some light on why Jeepers may subconsciously fear heavier tires and wheels. Just thought I through this out there to confuse us all...

Unsprung mass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Automobile handling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-16-2012, 07:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by open_speed
I don't understand this fear of weight on tires. Jeepers are known for putting on heavy bumpers, heavy winches and heavy racks all over their Jeeps. But with tires, there is this big fear of weight on tires. Yes, of course I realize it causes some more wear and tear, but so do all these other items that are put on the Jeep. Most of all however, weight is actually a good thing to have on the lowest possible point on the Jeep, it helps keep all four on the ground. Moreover, having to constantly worry about your sidewalls isn't much fun either. Ask WoL what he thinks about this.
It just has to do with the fear of breaking an axle shaft or r&p for the guys running 37's on a D30 or any size axle. You have more rotating mass for your drive train to deal with. That's why you can build around the tires you are going to buy or have bought.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdude3
It just has to do with the fear of breaking an axle shaft or r&p for the guys running 37's on a D30 or any size axle. You have more rotating mass for your drive train to deal with. That's why you can build around the tires you are going to buy or have bought.
x2: Ah yes...D30s rotating big/heavy mass is indeed asking for trouble.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdude3
I sometimes feel like a wasted money for buying a spare
This feeling will change after your 1st flat. In any case, 5 tires will last longer than 4 tires, if you do a 5 tire rotation.

Quick Reply: Which 37" tire would you pick?