Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which 37" tire would you pick?

Old 10-14-2012, 04:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rooster454
I need some opinions of what to pick. I'm looking at either the goodyear mt/r's with kevlar, the maxxis creepy crawler, or mickey thompson mtz, or the bf goodrich km2's.

If the toyos weren't so heavy they would be an option too. I live and wheel in Colorado, so I need a tire with strong sidewalls, is good on the rocks, and handles the snow well without being obnoxiously loud. I'm leaning more towards the mt/r's, but would like to hear opinions from anyone running any of the above listed tires.

Thanks for any input
MT/Rs with kevlar have notoriously weak sidewalls. Plus my 35's have 8-12 weights per wheel on most of them. Hard to balance and weak sidewalls should take these off your list. I am getting the Nitto's in 37" for my new JKUR.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prime8

MT/Rs with kevlar have notoriously weak sidewalls. Plus my 35's have 8-12 weights per wheel on most of them. Hard to balance and weak sidewalls should take these off your list. I am getting the Nitto's in 37" for my new JKUR.
Weak sidewalls? I have them on my 8,000 lb truck in a D load range. I have zero issues with any terrain and they ride and wear great.
I have 4 or 5 weights on mine at most.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

Default Grappler is a good choice.

I had a set of Nitto trail Grapplers and they were heavy but I drove then bald and never had a flat. Had a set of the Goodyear Kevlar tires and they ripped out the side but were very light great for the pavement. If going off road get the grapplers. They many not look the most aggressive but if considering a tire for a lot of different functions like mud snow and road wand rock then I'd go the grappler route unless you want to risk a ripped out side wall. I had really good luck with these and they aren't nearly as loud at Goodyear MT.
You want a tire with a thick side wall unless you don't go off road.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Opalgem
I had a set of Nitto trail Grapplers and they were heavy but I drove then bald and never had a flat. Had a set of the Goodyear Kevlar tires and they ripped out the side but were very light great for the pavement. If going off road get the grapplers. They many not look the most aggressive but if considering a tire for a lot of different functions like mud snow and road wand rock then I'd go the grappler route unless you want to risk a ripped out side wall. I had really good luck with these and they aren't nearly as loud at Goodyear MT.
You want a tire with a thick side wall unless you don't go off road.
I'm not doubting either of you, but I just haven't personally met anyone that has torn an MT/R. It can be done, I've just never seen it.

Thanks for the input. I wasn't aware of this.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run MTRs and I've had zero issues and no one I know has had issues with them either
Old 10-14-2012, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

theres about 350 threads here on tires and what to buy, theres a lot of things that come into play. Like what you have planned for you and your jeep. Most people are going to tell you to buy the tires they have. do your research and get whats best for YOU!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:10 PM
JK Junkie

I'm not doubting either of you, but I just haven't personally met anyone that has torn an MT/R. It can be done, I've just never seen it.

Have you ever looked at the price of Geolanders MT size 38x13.5x17 and the weight of them!!
Mine measure 37 mounted on my jeep which weighs 5200 lbs with 35 PSI in them
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1951278632.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	378340  
Old 10-14-2012, 08:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask Greg, GCM2 and owner of EVOJeep, what he thinks of the sidewalls of the Kevlars. If you didn't want to hear other peoples experience, you shouldn't have asked. After owning Kevlars myself, I won't be going back just due to balancing. Finding a shop that can/will balance Spyderlocks is a pain in the ass.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ask Greg, GCM2 and owner of EVOJeep, what he thinks of the sidewalls of the Kevlars. If you didn't want to hear other peoples experience, you shouldn't have asked. After owning Kevlars myself, I won't be going back just due to balancing. Finding a shop that can/will balance Spyderlocks is a pain in the ass.
I made this thread to get peoples' opinions, hence why I actually thanked you in the response you quoted above because I didn't realize that about them.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Go with the GY MTR/K.

The shop that I got mine at (work only on Jeeps) has put on 100's of these and has never had a problem with balancing. Plus the sidewall is tough, won't puncture easily like many of the others.

Stay away from the Nittos. Way too heavy, meant more for full size trucks.

Quick Reply: Which 37" tire would you pick?