Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37" tire necessities

Old 11-15-2013, 06:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Funny how this thread started out as "I have no money, run on dirt roads, and want to run 37's" not to mention he likely has no mechanical skills, to a thread talking about building 14 bolts. Even though there is some good info in here I doubt anyone will ever find it in a search with the op.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 11-15-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ABENDX
End price will be dependent on you (i.e. how much work do you want to put into this?).

Pick up a set of junk yard one ton axles.
Clean them up, set them up.
Install your goodies.
Wheel like you stole it!

The axles can be had for about a grand. When I built mine, I used axles from a late model Super Duty (10.5/d60), but there are other, more popular options like the 14b/d60. I suppose you could run anything, depending on how much time and money you wanted to spend... Rockwells? Never the less, there is a lot of info out there on how to buy these. I suggest looking for a thread by DR DIRTY on his 14b upgrade... surely there are more, but I'm new here and don't know. PBB is another good place to find this kind of info, but rarely JK specific. At this price point, your rear will be FF (~1500 upgrade at Dynatrac, no?).

Cleaning and setting up the axles should be fairly painless (late model SD axles are an exception to the easy rule, but are 100% worth the effort when you are done). Likely part of the setup is not going to be done by most home mechanics, so figure on labor cost here if you are doing your own work (locker/gear install cost ~700. The rest of the project should be pretty easy for most people that can change a light bulb.).

Install your goodies.... shafts, joints, etc..

So.... you have a low and high end and plenty of space in the middle.

Low end would be using all the items in the junk yard axles... gears, lockers, shafts, etc.. Figure 1500-2000 for axles and JK specific brackets.

High end would be just that... all the cool kid shit. Mine are pretty beef and ran me about 8k to complete, not much more could have been done with them.

A rear from Dynatrac speced like mine would cost around 3/4s the cost of my total package. They give you new shiny shit, a warranty (?), and some piece of mind that someone that knew what they were doing put together your axle (which I am sure isn't always the case, just look at Currie for a prime example of complete incompetence in building axles). I am not trying to talk you out of an axle like Dynatrac's, they are nice.... but nice costs a lot of money. This is just another option that puts your time and effort to good use, with a less expensive, stronger end state.

I guess it's your call... do you have more time or money?

My assumption is WOG ran Dynatrac and that is why we see blind brand loyalty to Northridge and Dynatrac. Nothing is wrong with those two companies... but they aren't playing in a lonely field.

Final thought.... in the end, no matter what is what. Building your own axles gives you the benefit of knowing how they went together. Important knowledge in a sport that constant breakage is the norm.
that method would probably work fine, but the person would have to have a hell of a lot of knowledge to assemble all of the junkyard parts in a way that it functions well

are you referring to me as "WOG" ?

matthew
Old 11-15-2013, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Funny how this thread started out as "I have no money, run on dirt roads, and want to run 37's" not to mention he likely has not mechanical skills, to a thread talking about building 14 bolts. Even though there is some good info in here I doubt anyone will ever find it in a search with the op.
You are right... but this is where decisions are made.

Poor guidance equals poor decisions.

Off the shelf is great for the bling factor of having the 'brand' name proudly displayed and great for those that just don't have the time and/or knowledge to do this, but many Jeepers aren't rich and don't bring a support team along with them, so building is a good exercise and keeps money in the pocket of the Jeeper. No one said one needed to build a one ton setup, I was just using that to show the cost difference to the other guys 15k+ build of a d60/d44, seeing the OP said he was poor.

As for the mechanical skills.... I thought about that and you are likely right, but wouldn't joining a local club solve a lot more issues than just that one? Maybe other clubs run differently than mine, but we constantly are helping one another out with builds and repairs. I know mine would have never gotten done without the help of my buddies in the club, from technical knowledge to getting me deals and free shit to use. And there is the option to go hybrid... buy the junk yard axles and other shit, have a local install everything.... surely less expensive still.

Last edited by ABENDX; 11-15-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's a WOG? Lol
Old 11-15-2013, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
What's a WOG? Lol

He's the North Korean Nazi that used to dictate here and I see way too many folks still wallowing in his long over rotten jizz.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ABENDX
He's the North Korean Nazi that used to dictate here and I see way too many folks still wallowing in his long over rotten jizz.
Evo is the best......poly and synergy don't exist, river raider? Bannity ban ban ban!!

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4

Quick Reply: 37" tire necessities