Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37" tire necessities

Old 11-13-2013, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread with some great info. I got the green light to go with 37s today from the wifey

I'm going to go the economical route and beef up my D30 and D44 rear little by little. Definitely going to do some sleeves, gussets, and maybe a re gear for starters. Maybe add some custom drive shafts down the road. I'm running a 2.5 lift so looks like some flat fenders are in my near future too.

I don't wheel super hard since it's my DD and I'm not trying to break stuff unnecessarily!
Old 11-13-2013, 06:33 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by flomingo
Great thread with some great info. I got the green light to go with 37s today from the wifey

I'm going to go the economical route and beef up my D30 and D44 rear little by little. Definitely going to do some sleeves, gussets, and maybe a re gear for starters. Maybe add some custom drive shafts down the road. I'm running a 2.5 lift so looks like some flat fenders are in my near future too.

I don't wheel super hard since it's my DD and I'm not trying to break stuff unnecessarily!
That's the route I almost went...

I was wanting to just regear and add lockers, when I added that up it got me started looking at the Dynatrac unlimited at Northridge's d44 with ARB and your choice of gearing

Going the normal route, I would look at upgrading axles first

I probably missed it but are you running a two door or four?

They say with a two door that your front driveshaft is more sensitive to lift height...

That's why I put in a 3" lift

Plus with 37's you want to watch your center of gravity

Matthew
Old 11-13-2013, 07:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I trust Northridge 4x4, if they tell me that there is no RCV rear axle for a Dana 60 I believe them
Okay bud.... enjoy your Jeep!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wasted money beefing up my Dana 30 and ended up blowing the gears not wheeling hard at all (5.13 gears).... also my DD 09 jku X auto. I now have the PR44 up front if I were to do it all over again I would have went straight to getting the PR44 even tho it's more $$$$ I feel I wasted it in the first place.... Now I wheel harder and with no worries.... Just food for thought.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:34 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
I wasted money beefing up my Dana 30 and ended up blowing the gears not wheeling hard at all (5.13 gears).... also my DD 09 jku X auto. I now have the PR44 up front if I were to do it all over again I would have went straight to getting the PR44 even tho it's more $$$$ I feel I wasted it in the first place.... Now I wheel harder and with no worries.... Just food for thought.
Amen

Old 11-13-2013, 08:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by B.Pert
What lift are you running?
2.5" TF BB.....for now....Synergy 3" on the horizon....
Old 11-13-2013, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

make sure you have the clearance to run them, not sure if a 3.5 in lift would let them fit comfortably i run 37's on my 10' jku but i also have a 6in lift and its still a little snug. might look into wheel spacers as well.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
That's the route I almost went...

I was wanting to just regear and add lockers, when I added that up it got me started looking at the Dynatrac unlimited at Northridge's d44 with ARB and your choice of gearing

Going the normal route, I would look at upgrading axles first

I probably missed it but are you running a two door or four?

They say with a two door that your front driveshaft is more sensitive to lift height...

That's why I put in a 3" lift

Plus with 37's you want to watch your center of gravity

Matthew
I have a 4-door. The more I look at the Dynatrac the more I think I should just save the coin and do it right the first time. It's just hard to drop that much $ all at once! But you're right, I'd hate to spend $2k, not including regear & locker install, to reinforce a D30 with sleeves, gussets, truss, and RCV axles just to start blowing gears. Might as well go with the Dynatrac and be able to enjoy wheeling without fear of breakage!
Old 11-14-2013, 04:12 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a 4-door. The more I look at the Dynatrac the more I think I should just save the coin and do it right the first time. It's just hard to drop that much $ all at once! But you're right, I'd hate to spend $2k, not including regear & locker install, to reinforce a D30 with sleeves, gussets, truss, and RCV axles just to start blowing gears. Might as well go with the Dynatrac and be able to enjoy wheeling without fear of breakage!
I plan on running sleeves and gussets on my D30 and that's it and take it easy on her until I can afford a pr44 front. I figure the sleeves and gussets aren't much but will give it some added strength to last while I save for the new axle.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Redman333
I plan on running sleeves and gussets on my D30 and that's it and take it easy on her until I can afford a pr44 front. I figure the sleeves and gussets aren't much but will give it some added strength to last while I save for the new axle.
Yeah my plan is to sleeve and gusset my D44 and regear to probably 5:13s even though I'm kinda thinking 5:38s. Hopefully that will be good enough for the wheelin that I plan on doing up here.

Quick Reply: 37" tire necessities