Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37" tire necessities

Old 11-07-2013, 06:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If you are really going to wheel 25% of the time with the jeep (that = about 90 days a year) I would look into a rear dana 60 with some 35 spline shafts and run some 5.13 or 5.38 gears depending on your transmission. Upgrade the fronts like others have said and add some RCV shafts Trimmed or flat fender flares and a 2.5"-3.5" lift. If looking at higher heights I would look into a drag link flip and mb some Reid high steer knuckles to move the tie rod up a bit. I would put front and rear 1310 driveshafts on the list. Run some 12" travel shocks and wheels with 3-3.5" back spacing. Truth be told much more info on what you do, where you live, and budget will dictate what you do. Saying you don't have much experience off roading then building a rig to run that much time off road with no budget does not add up to something you can realistically do.
Agree you said it !!!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dont be scared just to run them...

There are ALOT of guys running 37"s on factory D30s... yet you can buy a built D30 easier than finding a busted stock D30.

River Raider has dudes running 40"s on stock D30s, and I have had 37"s on a DD that I used to DRIVE 10 hours to wheel level 5-6 trails in Claytonm then drive it to the office the next day. Its not made out of popsical sticks- but sooner or later yout going to break it so wheel the piss out of it until you do!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The op has a rubicon so no dana 30.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exatly.

The point is D30s empirically break sooner than D44s... so it stand to reason that youll get farther than my D30 but still end up going tons anyway. Hence the "Do it" message.

D30 doing 3 pointers off a cliff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUV6KKbSm9g
Old 11-07-2013, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are really going to wheel 25% of the time with the jeep (that = about 90 days a year) I would look into a rear dana 60 with some 35 spline shafts and run some 5.13 or 5.38 gears depending on your transmission. Upgrade the fronts like others have said and add some RCV shafts Trimmed or flat fender flares and a 2.5"-3.5" lift. If looking at higher heights I would look into a drag link flip and mb some Reid high steer knuckles to move the tie rod up a bit. I would put front and rear 1310 driveshafts on the list. Run some 12" travel shocks and wheels with 3-3.5" back spacing. Truth be told much more info on what you do, where you live, and budget will dictate what you do. Saying you don't have much experience off roading then building a rig to run that much time off road with no budget does not add up to something you can realistically do.
Correction on the math.. If I were to average it out over the year I will probably only been wheelin 10-20 times a year. Not sure if that changes your opinion.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay I'm kind of in the same boat as the OP.... in the front end of my 09 jku auto sport X model I have the complete PR 44 with 5.13 gears , RCV's, dynatrac ball joints, reid knuckles etc.
I'm moving up from 35" Mickey MTZ's to 37" Goodyear MTR w Kevlar ..... They are only 2lbs heavier per tire ....... What at bare minimum should I do to my back end Dana 44 ..... I was thinking just chromoly axle shafts ..... Or do I need them? Because the weight difference is only 2lbs ???
Thanks
Oh and any problems switching back to my 35 inch Duratracs on steelies for five months of the year during the winter after I get my 37 I'll be rolling on 37's for seven months and back to 35 inch for five months

Last edited by robsjeep9; 11-12-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:13 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It think it is more than just comparing weight, the taller tires will have a larger footprint, and more rotational mass?

Run the stock shafts until they bend, or replace with alloy and keep the stocks for trail spares. If you bend one, it isn't going to happen immediately after the upgrade, so not like you have to decide right away.

Lots of people run a different winter set, no issues at all.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
It think it is more than just comparing weight, the taller tires will have a larger footprint, and more rotational mass?

Run the stock shafts until they bend, or replace with alloy and keep the stocks for trail spares. If you bend one, it isn't going to happen immediately after the upgrade, so not like you have to decide right away.

Lots of people run a different winter set, no issues at all.
Ok thanks and no issues with going back to a 35 inch tire from 37 for the winter

Last edited by robsjeep9; 11-07-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:23 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would replace with a cromoly shaft on the rear and keep the factory for a spare. I have seen several factory rubicon shafts snap right at the splines.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:26 PM
JK Junkie

I would replace with a cromoly shaft on the rear and keep the factory for a spare. I have seen several factory rubicon shafts snap right at the splines.
Ok thanks

Quick Reply: 37" tire necessities