Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37" tire necessities

Old 11-07-2013, 04:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 37" tire necessities

Hey guys, so I just got a screamin deal on a set of 37/12.50/17 MTRs but am worried as to what it is going to entail to get them on the jeep. Currently I have a 2011 stock jkur. Had plans on getting 35s and a 3.5" lift and keeping it simple but with the upgrade to 37s I'm not sure what I have gotten myself into. I'm a recent college grad so I don't have all the money in the world to blow, but want to do it right! Just a little info.. The jeep will be 75% pavement princess and 25% pnw off-road warrior! Not trying to rock crawl the thing, just some mountain trails and such!

If you guys could steer me in a safe, smart, low cost direction it would be much appreciated!

Thanks for your input.

-Brian
Old 11-07-2013, 04:33 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Welcome to the forum First you need to either strengthen your axle housing like gussets,sleeves,truss or up grade to pr44,pr60.Up grade your axle shafts front and rear,gear change.Your could run a small lift with flat fenders.Depending your off road needs,your steering will need work as well.Drive shafts especially the front.That's a start,good luck
Old 11-07-2013, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by familytime
Welcome to the forum First you need to either strengthen your axle housing like gussets,sleeves,truss or up grade to pr44,pr60.Up grade your axle shafts front and rear,gear change.Your could run a small lift with flat fenders.Depending your off road needs,your steering will need work as well.Drive shafts especially the front.That's a start,good luck
Didn't think about the steering at all! Thanks for the input man! Considering the tire size and the fact that a majority of the time I will just be cruisin around town do you think I would be better off with a 5:13 or 5:38 gears?
Old 11-07-2013, 04:51 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by B.Pert
Didn't think about the steering at all! Thanks for the input man! Considering the tire size and the fact that a majority of the time I will just be cruisin around town do you think I would be better off with a 5:13 or 5:38 gears?
Since you spend time on road more,5.13's.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by B.Pert
You don't HAVE to re-gear. It depends on where you live, and the roads you drive. I live in Nashville. Lot's of rolling hills. My '07 JKU does fine with the stock 411 gears. I don't have the money now to re-gear and every time I drive on the highway, I come home wondering why I would spend $1500 bucks (or whatever) just to avoid a few extra shifts. I've been driving lifted vehicles for years so maybe I'm just used to it. However, if I still lived in Colorado, it would be a higher priority with all the long hills into the mountains.

Also, if you are not going off-road or very light off-road, c-gussets and sleeves aren't mandatory. If you have the budget, go for it. They are next on my list. But don't think you need them for driving on the paved roads or mild off-road. I've taken mine on what I consider medium terrain and haven't had a problem. But I do feel like I am on borrowed time.

I cut my fenders and made them flat. It cost nothing once I borrowed a friends saw.

After a year with a 4 inch lift and 37's, I did get to the point I made replacing my driveshaft a priority. But it isn't something you have to do right away. In fact, I replaced mine because i was getting the angry bird chirping. Turns out, it wasn't the front driveshaft and I could have probably gone another year without replacing.

My point is, don't think because you see maxed out rigs on the internet, that a JKU isn't drivable without spending thousands on upgrades. Do a little at a time as you can afford it, and as it becomes necessary.

Last edited by JKUBryan; 11-07-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:08 AM
JK Newbie

I forgot to mention.
Going to bigger tires did totally mess up my shift points. I HATED it!
So I bought a Superchip programmer and it made a huge difference.
That was a must in my opinion.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKUBryan
You don't HAVE to re-gear. It depends on where you live, and the roads you drive. I live in Nashville. Lot's of rolling hills. My '07 JKU does fine with the stock 411 gears. I don't have the money now to re-gear and every time I drive on the highway, I come home wondering why I would spend $1500 bucks (or whatever) just to avoid a few extra shifts. I've been driving lifted vehicles for years so maybe I'm just used to it. However, if I still lived in Colorado, it would be a higher priority with all the long hills into the mountains.

Also, if you are not going off-road or very light off-road, c-gussets and sleeves aren't mandatory. If you have the budget, go for it. They are next on my list. But don't think you need them for driving on the paved roads or mild off-road. I've taken mine on what I consider medium terrain and haven't had a problem. But I do feel like I am on borrowed time.

I cut my fenders and made them flat. It cost nothing once I borrowed a friends saw.

After a year with a 4 inch lift and 37's, I did get to the point I made replacing my driveshaft a priority. But it isn't something you have to do right away. In fact, I replaced mine because i was getting the angry bird chirping. Turns out, it wasn't the front driveshaft and I could have probably gone another year without replacing.

My point is, don't think because you see maxed out rigs on the internet, that a JKU isn't drivable without spending thousands on upgrades. Do a little at a time as you can afford it, and as it becomes necessary.
Well said. I will add, when you do go off road you need to take the time to learn what your Jeep is capable of doing without getting heavy on the skinny pedal as this a lot of time stresses components. If you feel that you will damage something than don't do it and error on the side of caution until you can afford to break things and replace them. Our Jeep passion is not a cheap one but you can have a lot of fun without necessarily breaking the bank all at once.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKUBryan
I forgot to mention. Going to bigger tires did totally mess up my shift points. I HATED it! So I bought a Superchip programmer and it made a huge difference. That was a must in my opinion.
Good to know! Yeah I guess I have just been reading horror stories about everything falling apart with 37s, but it's hard to remember that I won't be doing half of what these guys are doing! I still might go for the re-gear right away just because I already feel as if the thing is gutless so I know 37s are going to turn it into a rolling turd. Thanks for the positive prospective on the other stuff! Hopefully my borrowed time can be a year or so. Haha
Old 11-07-2013, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by familytime
Since you spend time on road more,5.13's.
Awesome, thanks!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wittys-jk
Well said. I will add, when you do go off road you need to take the time to learn what your Jeep is capable of doing without getting heavy on the skinny pedal as this a lot of time stresses components. If you feel that you will damage something than don't do it and error on the side of caution until you can afford to break things and replace them. Our Jeep passion is not a cheap one but you can have a lot of fun without necessarily breaking the bank all at once.
Yeah that is a good point, my wheeling experience is minimal at this point but am excited to get started. Considering my fear of blowing the thing up I'm sure the lighter trails will be my starting point.

Quick Reply: 37" tire necessities