Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37 on stock spare tire carrier and other ?s

Old 10-31-2016, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I blew up the gears in my D44 back when I had it. It lasted 3 months on 37s.
Just curious. Stock shafts or something stronger?
Old 10-31-2016, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess my stock parts are just stronger than everyone else's stock parts then. Because I can assure you I do not baby my jeep, and I have had absolutely no issues yet. Either that or you all are driving like complete fools offroad, pretending you have one tons when you don't. Or simply don't understand the limits of stock axles. I'm not sure what it is, but there is some factor that is causing people to break so easily on just a 37, when I haven't had any issues yet. I have gotten my front end airborne multiple times and came down hard not to mention riding down wallops at 30mph. No issues. Idk what to tell ya. There is something that is different though. And I can promise it isn't the fact that I "don't wheel hard" or something ignorant
Old 10-31-2016, 09:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by silverbullet88
Just curious. Stock shafts or something stronger?
RCVs. However, I am fairly confident the gears would have gone even with stock shafts.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by gnarly_mike
I guess my stock parts are just stronger than everyone else's stock parts then. Because I can assure you I do not baby my jeep, and I have had absolutely no issues yet. Either that or you all are driving like complete fools offroad, pretending you have one tons when you don't. Or simply don't understand the limits of stock axles. I'm not sure what it is, but there is some factor that is causing people to break so easily on just a 37, when I haven't had any issues yet. I have gotten my front end airborne multiple times and came down hard not to mention riding down wallops at 30mph. No issues. Idk what to tell ya. There is something that is different though. And I can promise it isn't the fact that I "don't wheel hard" or something ignorant
No one said it is a guarantee that something will break. Sometimes we are victims of circumstance. Where I wheel out in the eastern and southeast US, it is tons of massive rocks that are slick. Very easy to get jammed and wedged. That situation creates many weaknesses that can lead to gear failure. Simply trying to reverse out is a fast way to do it. Could be shock load from how the traction hit (you can see from my gears that is what happened - uneven and immediate traction).

People who re-gear are far more likely for failure as there is less contact between the ring and pinion. Can't say I've seen 3.73s go, but 4.88-5.38 is most of what I see.

Lastly, 37s far exceed the rated capacity of the D30. In fact, they exceed the capacity of a D44. That doesn't mean it will break, but most assume it is a likely outcome.

I've been around these boards for years. And Dirtman will tell you the same thing. I can't count the number of people who have said they run xyz on a D30 no issues, only to blow gears at some later point. Some of them used to pound it home on the forums. The irony was great.

Most anyone I wheel with now is running 40s and at a min a D60. I can't recall a time we went out and someone didn't break an axle shaft or blow gears. What you may think is challenging terrain, is a service road to a trail for someone else. The probability of a heavy JK with 37s and a D30 following us for a weekend in TN or KY and not blowing the front, is very low. Does that mean we have a heavy foot? No. You have to push your rig or you're not going to make it. If you want to winch all day, we're not the group for you.

Everyone's use case is different. Aside from all that is the simple fact that 37s significantly exceed the capacity of a D30 and there isn't much to argue there.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RCVs. However, I am fairly confident the gears would have gone even with stock shafts.
How do you figure that? Haha
Old 10-31-2016, 11:10 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by silverbullet88
How do you figure that? Haha
It was straight on. U-joints are very strong when the wheels are pointed forward. I've seen plenty of 35 spline RCVs break on a D44. I'm always humored by the conversation of where the "fuse" is. The only real fuse that has control is the driver.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:58 PM
JK Super Freak

It was straight on. U-joints are very strong when the wheels are pointed forward. I've seen plenty of 35 spline RCVs break on a D44. I'm always humored by the conversation of where the "fuse" is. The only real fuse that has control is the driver.
Some people just don't get it.
I'll say I use to say that the Dana 30 wasn't too bad. That still holds some truth as I bought the Yukon lifetime warranty so it is what it is. I fix the shit I break unlike a lot of people. That would make it very very silly to run a 30.
Invest is right. It's easy to say "you wheel too hard" or "you are too hard on the skinny pedal". Lol. I've been to a lot of Offroad parks and wheeled with a lot of different groups. There's a huge difference between what I see a lot of people do, and what my friends and I do. The things people get out and spot each other for we roll through at 4 am at night and never stop... there's also a HUGE difference between your Texas wheeling and what we run around here. While you guys are out flexing on sand rocks we're climbing hills from the bottom of a creek where it's a mix of sick rock, mud, tight trails, and waterfall climbs... it's a big difference.

Quick Reply: 37 on stock spare tire carrier and other ?s