Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37 on stock spare tire carrier and other ?s

Old 10-27-2016, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 37 on stock spare tire carrier and other ?s

Hello I'm soon to be ordering a set of 37 inch toyo open country mts for my jeep. I have flat flares and 3.5 inch lift. Gonna be putting them on stock Rubicon rims for now till can afford beadlocks. Has anyone ran 37 inch tires on stock spare? I have a spacer bought for it too that gets it up and out. I can't remember brand I think mbrp. I don't plan on running it like that for long. Looking at getting smittybilt tire carrier similar to Tera flex but cheaper.

Other ?s with 37s and a 2010 sport auto with the 3.8 is what is some other things you would do? I plan on having it re geared to 4.88s and may put lockers in while I'm at it. Idk what kind tho. Live in Iowa and it is my dd. I've been reading that lunchbox style locker would be best for me. What do you guys think? Also plan on putting sleeve and gussets on and don't know if I'll need new shafts or not? What do you think. It won't be a hardcore rock crawling rig but I do plan on wheeling with it and buying different and bigger axles are out of price range.

And I plan on getting tuner after re gearing and wondering if just get the flash call or get a performance tuner. I've been looking at superchips trail dash 2.

Any tips will be helpful. Trying to do it right the 1st time. I didn't when I 1st lifted it. Thanks
Old 10-28-2016, 01:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are heavy 37's I know because I used to run them. I would not put one of those on the stock spare carrier for long. Make sure you figure something out with the rubber tailgate bumpers to extend them so the spare has absolutely zero wobble. That will help make it work TEMPORARILY.

Assuming you plan on driving offroad and or on the interstate, 4.88 on a 3.8 with auto and those tires is not low enough gearing IMO. You are going to want 5.13 minimum and more likely 5.38. If you have a front Dana 30 I would not spend money on regearing to run 37's. I would save up for a better front axle and one that could handle the deeper gears you are going to want. (Anything in the 5's is pushing the strength limit on a Dana 30 pinion IMO)

You said you want to do it right the first time. 37's on a Dana 30 is never doing it right! I know this is not what you want to hear but it is truth.

Last edited by Biginboca; 10-28-2016 at 01:26 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh geeze man, I don't think I would even go with temporary. One good set of train tracks and bad things could happen. I'm least worried about the damage to your Jeep, but more worried about 120lbs of wheel and tire hurtling toward another car or pedestrian.

If you can't afford to do a modification correctly and safely, then you should wait until you can.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just run 4-37's and keep your spare stock. That's my favorite look :-)
Old 10-28-2016, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Like Invest said, I wouldn't even risk it. Too much what if potential. You can pick up a good body mounted tire carrier for $400- $500, and be set.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Like Invest said, I wouldn't even risk it. Too much what if potential. You can pick up a good body mounted tire carrier for $400- $500, and be set.
Or at the very least... throw the spare in the rear cargo compartment till you can afford to properly mount it? Be sure to strap it down if you do this.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Maybe its just me, but I'd be nervous ripping off the gate or part of the body? I know they are designed to fail before the body does...but especially in moab you drag the spare a lot

Like others have mentioned, you have a long way to go before 37s and the tire carrier is the least of your problems.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't put that spare on the stock tire carrier either. Throw the spare in the back until you can get a proper mount. Carry a good plug kit to because sometimes it's easier to plug a tire on the trail than to change it.

As for other mods, I just got done regearing to 4.88s in my 2011 with an auto trans. Had a Detroit locker installed in the rear and a true trac in the front. I also have 37s and its fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	659974
Old 10-30-2016, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

The factory tire carrier unbolted from the jeep weighs like 12 ounces. Literally less than a pound. It's literally about a millimeter thick where the wheel mounts to it. Mine cracked when I hit a pothole and it was only carrying the factory wheel/tire combo. I wouldn't chance it.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had an idea of having mine coated with spray on Bedliner. I know this can make products MUCH stronger, anyone done this?

Quick Reply: 37 on stock spare tire carrier and other ?s