Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37" Setup

Old 05-30-2011, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 37" Setup

I Have an 08' Jk 4 dr I have been looking to put some money into modification for it. I for surely want 37' tires, but I don't know what else I need to get to support the big tires. I have heard that I will need at least a 4" lit and to change/upgrade my driveshaft. But the people that have told me that use their jeeps for crawling, which I wouldn't be doing. More than likely my jeep will be 70% daily driver and bout 30% mudding, no rock crawling for me over in Illinois.

I'm looking to get Nitto Trail Grapplers if that matters. If anybody could inform me of a good setup they would run with these 37's that would be appreciated. Try to include what lift you would get with what brand and other modifications you would get to make the jeep reliable.

Thank You.

Last edited by ace1294; 05-30-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can run 4" with stock flares. But if you want less lift, talk to planman. I think hes running 40's on flat fenders and 3.5" lift.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by planman
You can run 37s with:
  • 4.5" or less backspaced wheels
  • Flat flares (trimmed stockers, Bushwacker, Xenon, etc.)
  • 1" body lift
  • 2.5" suspension lift
  • 1.25" front extended bumpstops and 2.5" rear extended bumpstops
  • rear tire carrier capable of a 37" tire
  • trimmed front stock bumper and plastic air dam or a stubby front bumper
  • trimmed or folded over pinch seam at the front end of the rear fender wells

See the link in my signature for more info.

Alternatively, if you want to run stock flares with no body lift and 37s, you need front and rear extended bumpstops that have been extended 4"--which means you want at least a 4" suspension lift.
Hey plan man did you upgrade your steering when you went to 37s if so what all did you have done?
Old 05-30-2011, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

and you dont mention if you have a d44 front axle... (?)
Old 05-30-2011, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

Default Flares

I would run the Xenon flares. But you don't think I would need an upgraded driveshaft or axles? I would probably regear it to 4.88 or 5.13 after i do some more research.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:36 AM
JK Junkie

I would go with the teraflex 4" or the aev premium 4.5". For gears with 37's you should do 5.13's or 5.38's. With a 4dr you don't NEED new driveshafts, however, you may choose to do so later on. If you have a d30 up front, at least add c gussets to it. I added axle sleeves as well, however some say they are not necessary. Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:38 AM
JK Junkie

Also, with the little mudding, and no "wheeling". You will not need chromoly shafts or new upgraded axles. IMO
Old 05-30-2011, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by orfanidisnikolaos
and you dont mention if you have a d44 front axle... (?)
Is it better to have a Dana 44 over a 30? yes. Is it nesissary? no. Are there lots of people on 37's with a Dana 30? Sure is- theres even a thread on here post "who has 37's on a 30".

It all comes down to how hard you drive it. If you never take it off road, you might never need anythign more than a 30. If you drive it hard over rocks every weekend, you'd even brake a Dana 60 sooner or later.

Its a Wrangler. Rule 1- Build it how you want it, and start saving for when something breaks.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Vinson Clark

Hey plan man did you upgrade your steering when you went to 37s if so what all did you have done?
I also wan to know about this as I have steering fluid overheat and other steering related issues with 35's and want to go to 37's ... It was my understanding you need to install something like a PSC hydraulic assist steering kit.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by planman

In my experience, you don't really need hydro assist with 37s unless you offroad in the rocks with your tires below 8 psi.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
I go to about 12 psi rock crawling that's when my steering starts to overheat. Fluid spills out and steering seems to struggle and that's with 35's ... If I could get away without a hydraulic assist I would be very happy

Quick Reply: 37" Setup