Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37" KM2s and 2DR

Old 09-26-2011, 05:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 37" Toyos and using the Superchpis to plug in my tire size to get my speedo accurate. After trial and error, I had to dial in my tire height to 35.25" which surprised me. I'll have to take an actual measurement to see what I get for physical size. Parked next to a 37 Km2, Toyos look bigger.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

285/17R17 KM2 = 33.8 inches tall
Old 09-26-2011, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

My buddy has 37" km2s on his 2 door and I have the procomp xtreme mt 37. We both have the exact same lift and almost same armor and bumpers and his tires look smaller next to mine. His neasure 36.9 i believe No prob balancing either tire and his rides nice. They have a little noise though. Hope this helps.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:26 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by planman
Tire sidewalls loosen up after use with heavy loads or off road at low psi. With a 2 dr, unless you like a stiff ride, you want load range C or D tires, and you want to avoid load range E tires.

The Cooper STTs are also a great 37x12.50R17.

The Goodyear MTR w/Kevlar at least starts out taller than most 37s. However, after the sidewalls break in, I don't know if that difference continues to be as large. Plus, the MTR w/Kevlar tires are know for some inconsistency in balancing issues.
Good info - Thanks.

Originally Posted by JKred
This, unfortunately, is very true. They couldn't get one of my five [MTRs] to balance, static, dynamic, and road forced, ended up ordering me a new tire, which balanced fine.
The well documented balance issues of the MTRs is the only reason I don't already have a set.

Originally Posted by renpia
Parked next to a 37 Km2, Toyos look bigger.
The Toyos are a wider tire in a 37 than the KM2 which may partially explain the difference in appearance. Wish they didn't weigh like 20+ lbs more per tire than the KM2 (although I've never heard of anyone having sidewall punctures with the Toyos - same can't be said for the KM2s).

Originally Posted by littlewhite
My buddy has 37" km2s on his 2 door and I have the procomp xtreme mt 37. We both have the exact same lift and almost same armor and bumpers and his tires look smaller next to mine. His measure 36.9 i believe No prob balancing either tire and his rides nice. They have a little noise though. Hope this helps.
Thanks. Measuring almost 37 inches while mounted is promising.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by awesomo
285/17R17 KM2 = 33.8 inches tall
Were these supposed to be 37s? 33.8 is pitiful for an advertised height of 37 inches.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:41 PM
JK Junkie

Those are not 37s. He didn't read the full thread.
Thanks for the clarification.

Received another height input, this from a friend running 37" KM2s on his 4DR - 36.75" off the vehicle and 36.25" mounted on his Unlimited. Interesting, as I would have guessed that the extra weight of the 4DR would have had a greater affect in "decreasing" size. Suspect it is as many have stated - combination of air pressure, rim width, and probably wheel size (i.e., 15, 16, 17, . . . inch).

Maybe I should have asked if anyone has measured less than 36 inches, and if so, in what configuration?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

From reading this thread it seems the consistent message is all tires are measuring (once mounted and on the vehicle weighted down) anywhere from 1/2 to 1 inch less than advertised, which to me makes all the sense in the world. Manufactures measure them under no load, high point.

And, don't forget that alot of these heavy duty tires have really thick, tall, threads, which wear quickly, thus melting down their overall diameter over time. Take 1/4" of thread off and the tire just lost 1/2" in height.

Never heard about sidewalls weaking over time and allowing the tire to be lower, although I only spendt two years in quality control at a tire manufacturing plant inspecting over 2,000 tires per night plus spending time in the lab performing countless other tests... but never heard this before.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

285/75/16 km2s vs 285/75/16 Mickey thompsons I know not 37s but still
Shows the size difference.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1158231798.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	216838  
Old 09-29-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie

I really like the 37" KM2s and the Cooper STTs. They are smooth. They perform great on and off road. They don't take much to balance. They last a good amount of miles.

I would have no hesitation running the 37" MTR w/Kevlar, but availability is spotty and production quality is sometimes inconsistent. I read a recent magazine article where the writer ordered several different tires in 37s for a test. Before mounting them, they weighed each tire. I seem to remember that the MTRs have one of the larger variations in weight between the 4 MTRs they received. Don't recall exactly the amount. The MTRs are known to sometimes have balance problems. They are also one of the highest rated tires in tests for all around performance.

So, if you order the MTRs, they will run larger than other brands, they may be hard to find, and you may possibly end up sending one or two back for an exchange. If you are willing to deal with that hassle, you would not regret the MTRs at all.
I don't think the MTRs are going to be a good match for me as much as I would love to give them a chance. Talked to another local guy who had balancing issues (that now makes 4 out of 5 local guys with that issue) - I would blow a fuse if after spending $1800 for new tires, they wouldn't balance or only stayed balanced for several days (the common complaint amongst those I chatted with about their MTR experiences).

Will take a look at the Cooper STTs. Anyone know if they (37s) tend to run true to size?

Thanks again for the detailed inputs Anthony.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

I've had 37" MTR's for about a month now and they have been awesome so far! After talking with the guys at the tire shop how hard they were to balance they told me they didn't require much at all. I can't remember the exact amount but so far I haven't had to take them back in to get them
rebalanced or anything. They are wearing great as well..still look like the day I got them

Quick Reply: 37" KM2s and 2DR