Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37" KM2 height

Old 06-04-2012, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by dognights
They are one of the lightest mud tires out there that are popular. This is also why measured size mounted is a bit larger of a change then a heavier tire. This will be even more noticed on smaller wheels with large tires as there is more sidewall showing and they are built lighter. This is the trade off you give up when buying these to save weight. Also dont be super surprised when you tear your sidewall on a rock or tree stump.
I agree. Lighter tires = less durable
Old 06-04-2012, 04:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shit i've wheeled hard on KM2 tires for the past 3 years and never tore a sidewall or popped a bead. Not as shitty of a tire as some here are portraying them to be. Lighter doesnt always equal less durable. Example is the GY MT/R. Weak sidewall? I didnt think so.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:57 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mudrider
I just bought 4 37" bfg km2 and they measure 36.6"s will they look smaller than the cooper stt's that i decided to not go with that measured 36.4"s? if they are the same width why does everyone say that the km2 will look smaller and it measures almost the same height? thanks
tire performance is the only thing that matters and i wouldn't worry so much about "actual" tire height as it really isn't important.

Originally Posted by hagausaf
shit i've wheeled hard on KM2 tires for the past 3 years and never tore a sidewall or popped a bead. Not as shitty of a tire as some here are portraying them to be. Lighter doesnt always equal less durable. Example is the GY MT/R. Weak sidewall? I didnt think so.
speaking from experience, gy mt/r's DO have weak sidewalls just like km2's. i have run both and if i can help it, won't do so again. all the guys that i know personally who have run them and wheel the same trails as me will tell you the same thing. although, it could just be where you wheel. a lot of the rocks in CO are rounded and smooth whereas the desert rocks in socal and arizona can be razor sharp. of course, that's just what i've experienced.

Last edited by wayoflife; 06-04-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

WOL - as I am looking at 35s or 37s, what tire would you recommend looking at? My area doesn't have sharp rocks, but I hope to do MOAB or the Rubicon trail once a year as soon as my Jeep finished being built up.

Last edited by open_speed; 06-04-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:22 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by open_speed
WOL - as I am looking at 35s or 37s, what tire would you recommend looking at?
first off, i would recommend that you NOT look at actual tire size as it is irrelavent. certainly, when talking about things like lift needed in order to clear them, no manufacturer, mechanic or me will be referring to "actual" tire height, only what's writen on the sidewall. second, it really depends on where you live, the kind of trails you run, how much time you spend on pavement and is tread life a concern. i see that you are in IN and for your purposes, something like a bfg might be what you'd want as they work great in the mud and deep snow, are really comfortable on pavement and wear like iron. if you do get a chance to play on the rocks, you will find that nittos will perform better in terms of traction, sidewall bitting and sidewall strength. if there is a downside to nittos, it's that they will not last as long.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by hagausaf
I personally know people who have slashed mtr's and km2's on rocks. It's funny how I hear people bitch about heavy tires like toyos and nittos, yet there is a reason they are heavy. More material = more strength. Like WOL said, it depends on the terrain you wheel on. Km2's are great tires, but far from the most durable
Old 06-05-2012, 09:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine measured right at 36" I'm very happy with them. Km2s have great tread life. I was so close to going with Cooper stt..my km2 37" weigh 70lbs each stt about 82lbs and toyos 92 lbs. Yes this two brands probly have 3/4 to an inch height on mine but I have no complaints bc I'm very satisfied with my tire type, ride and tire reputation..each to their own bc I bought mine knowing I was getting the shortest 37s and more expensive than stt's. The lightness of these tires help out this minivan powerplant and that was a factor too. I'm satisfied. And that's what should matter to everyone on here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1392976957.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	326072

Quick Reply: 37" KM2 height