Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37 Inch Upgrade

Old 01-23-2012, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 37 Inch Upgrade

Jumping up to 37inch Mud Grapplers and just checking to see what preventive steps I should make now so I don't go breaking things down the road. I have been reading a thread on 35's and people are talking about the EVO C Gussets and Sleeves. If I go ahead and do this should I be ok or is there more to do? I realize I will need a regear.

As for wheeling, I do some but I don't go to hard because I am pretty new to this.

Thanks guys
Old 01-23-2012, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

With 37's you're going to want to trim your pinch seams in the rear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2355.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	268877
Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BStelling
With 37's you're going to want to trim your pinch seams in the rear.

Attachment 268877
Forgot about that, thanks.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Howdy fellow Nebraskan! Gussetts, Sleeves, Re-gear are the big ones. Closely after that and preferrably at the same time - upgrade front driveshaft (it'll be problems sooner not later). Assuming you enough lift to clear 37s (some combination to give about 4" more tire clearance).
Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigMAK1
Howdy fellow Nebraskan! Gussetts, Sleeves, Re-gear are the big ones. Closely after that and preferrably at the same time - upgrade front driveshaft (it'll be problems sooner not later). Assuming you enough lift to clear 37s (some combination to give about 4" more tire clearance).
Thanks, I'm running a rough country 3.5 lift and PSC flat fenders so I should be ok.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Definitely sleeve and gusset. Your driving style will play a big part in how it holds up, especially a D30
Old 01-23-2012, 12:47 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

as mentioned, gussets should be done for sure, sleeves are nice insurance but far from necessary and, i would upgrade your front axle shafts to chromoly. leave the front open and you should be okay.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi gimp - couldn't reply via PM your inbox is full.

We did my gears while axles were off and took them to Lincoln Clutch and Brake. For local help/contacts these guys helped a lot: h t t p://www.nebraska4x4.org/index.php including helping me find someone to handle my welding since I'm not proficient enough at it to have done my long arm install myself.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigMAK1
Hi gimp - couldn't reply via PM your inbox is full.

We did my gears while axles were off and took them to Lincoln Clutch and Brake. For local help/contacts these guys helped a lot: h t t p://www.nebraska4x4.org/index.php including helping me find someone to handle my welding since I'm not proficient enough at it to have done my long arm install myself.
Thanks, I got the inbox cleaned out as well.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just a side note; I've had my 37's for ~35,000 miles now on my 'X'. I installed 5.13 gears and did the EVO sleeve and gussets up front while I had it apart. The front is open. I only run with ~1" of lift so I still have all the stock suspension parts and driveshafts (the front boot is torn). Keep in mind that I live in Florida and 99% of my offroading is mud and sand. We went out this weekend with ~50 Jeeps to to play in the woods and mud and I had several people tell me I was crazy for running 37's on a Dana 30 with stock axles. I plan to upgrade to chromo shafts or a PR44 when these break but dang if they've held on for 70,000 miles now. My point is, I can't drive my Jeep any harder when I take it out. I hit mud holes WOT in 4HI and there have been several times I wondered how the little minivan engine held together at redline for so long. I run fire roads faster than anyone I ride with and bounce the crap out of my Jeep. If I went north or west and got onto some rocks it would probably break an axle the first day out but for how I drive it appears my setup is adaquate. It all depends on what you plan to do but don't let people talk you out of your money before you're sure you need something. Again, if I were going out west to play I wouldn't think twice about at least putting chromo shafts in just for insurance.

Quick Reply: 37 Inch Upgrade