Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37" club need some gear advice

Old 11-12-2009, 07:38 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
When Eddie posts about 5.38s being a weak link, you need to know how hard he wheels his big heavy JK.

It is kind of fun to read about his laundry list of broken/failed parts--sector shafts, multiple Rubi lockers, chromolly axle shafts, driveshaft flanges, etc.,etc.

It would be awesome if he had all those failures in a compilation video with some good music for us to watch.

Now that he will have front & rear 60s on his rig, I'm curious as to what he will find as the next weak link.

Anyway, as a weekend mechanic & amateur jeeper, I completely agree with his post the best gearing vs the stonger gearing.
LOL!! believe me, the though has crossed our minds and we may do a video like this someday.

so you all know, i really wanted the 5.38's to work and that's why i paid to have them installed. when they worked, they were the best ratio to go with and knowing that there was a potential for it being weak, i tried really really hard to go easy on them. unfortuantely, they still failed and on the dusy with 10 of the hardest miles left to go. it totally sucked to have to pull my rear end apart, on top of a 10,000 ft. mountain and with freezing rain and hail falling on us. believe me, i'm not trying to poo poo on 5.38's as a ratio but rather, just want to make sure that people who wheel their jeep hard know that it can be a weak link.

of course, after 2 months of not being able to drive my jeep, i finally got my dynatrac prorock 60 in the rear and yes, i am running 5.38's in it
Old 11-12-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help. I forgot to mention that I am powered by Ripp but still like to us the power when needed, passing, climbing not using the power just to hold my speed. The plan is to end up with 40"s and not too much gear. Now I know there is for sure a 60 for the front. Kind of hoping to do the cheaper setup for now until I could afford both f/b 60's.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your profile says you have a Sahara. I'm not sure if they even make 5.38s for a Dana 30 but with 37" tires this is definitely not the strongest setup. I'd save up for some stronger axles before I did the tires and regear.

Quick Reply: 37" club need some gear advice