Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35x14.50 tires!

Old 01-14-2012, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPop
I have the 35x12.5x17s MTRs with Kevlar on my JK and I definitely would not buy them again. They are too light of tire for a JK, especially if you have any armor or bumpers. Lots of sidewall sway on road but fine off road. If you're really sold on the MTRs w/Kevlar in 35s, I would opt for the heavier service description LT315/70R17s. Nominal size difference and a tire that supports the weight of a JK with some extra goodies.

Also, the MTRs have proven to require a lot of weight to balance. My 35" Toyo Open Country MTs took a fraction of the weight and when the time comes I'll be heading back that direction.
I think i will stick with the 35in nitto mud grappler, but now in 12.5 instead of 14.5, on a 15x10in wheel
Old 01-14-2012, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the 35x12.5x17s MTRs with Kevlar on my JK and I definitely would not buy them again. They are too light of tire for a JK, especially if you have any armor or bumpers. Lots of sidewall sway on road but fine off road. If you're really sold on the MTRs w/Kevlar in 35s, I would opt for the heavier service description LT315/70R17s. Nominal size difference and a tire that supports the weight of a JK with some extra goodies.

Also, the MTRs have proven to require a lot of weight to balance. My 35" Toyo Open Country MTs took a fraction of the weight and when the time comes I'll be heading back that direction.
speak for yourself.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RHD-Manx2
I dont mean to thread jack but i think since width is a topic of tires, how would a 13.5" tire do in a jk non daily driver mud rocks and very light snow?
I had 13.5 and they wanted to wonder all over the place. I also did not like them in snow and ice.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:23 PM
JK Junkie

I'm on my second set of MTR's they ride great on my JK and it's loaded up. The 37's balanced easily more so than the 35's I had, pretty sure it's because a different compound is used for the larger size variants. The toyos ride like a brick shit house as a DD (you'll feel every bump and dip in the road) they're a REALLY heavy tire and the psi needs to be super low to achieve a halfway decent ride since they aren't designed for a JK but instead 1 ton pickup trucks and larger. If I had to choose another tire I'd go with Nittos Mud grappler, they're LOUD as anything and HEAVY but perform well and offer a better ride imo. To each his own though a lot of things come into play with tires and the only real way is to finally pull the trigger and see how they go, worse comes to worse you pull them and sell them after a month and lose a couple of bucks if you really hate them that much.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:29 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RHD-Manx2
I dont mean to thread jack but i think since width is a topic of tires, how would a 13.5" tire do in a jk non daily driver mud rocks and very light snow?
The snow and mud is where things will suck on a wider MT tire. No single tire handles every situation well so the best thing to do is really spell out your most frequent needs and cope with the downsides on the rest.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

This is why I like my 35x12.50 Trail grapplers. They are e rated and heavy but have a very solid feel on road and the sidewalls stay firm when cornering. Also they balance out great. To answer the op's question, I would go with a 12.50" width. It provides a great balance on and off road.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would stick with a 12.50...
Old 01-14-2012, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

what size wheels are you guys running with 35x12.5 tires?
Old 01-14-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm running a 17x9 rim on my 38x13.5x17
Old 01-14-2012, 04:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by fadeout
The toyos ride like a brick shit house as a DD (you'll feel every bump and dip in the road) they're a REALLY heavy tire and the psi needs to be super low to achieve a halfway decent ride since they aren't designed for a JK but instead 1 ton pickup trucks and larger. If I had to choose another tire I'd go with Nittos Mud grappler, they're LOUD as anything and HEAVY but perform well and offer a better ride imo.
You really need to look at service descriptions of tires. Two tires in the same line can be vastly different. For example the 35" MTRs and the LT315/70s I mentioned will have totally different inflation rates for on road driving while being virtually the same size. I can't get enough air in my 35" MTR rear tires to promote proper wear and handling without exceeding the manufacturers maximum inflation rate of 35psi. The front tires aren't an issue for me and they perform fine off road aired down.

Toyo 37s, if you buy them in 17s they are far too heavy for a JK unless you have seriously fattened up your rig. Exact same height and width on an 18" wheel and your running 7 or 8psi more in them. The ride is totally different because of different sidewall rigidity. The Nitto Mud Grapplers mentioned use the exact same carcass as the Toyo MTs and roll out of the same factory. The only difference is the tread design on top.

It's best not to make wholesale comments about a line of tires and also have a base understanding of service descriptions. Plenty of people who loved their Toyo 35s and absolutely couldn't stand there move to 37x17s. Difference being their service descriptions and the move to 37s for that line of tire should have been accompanied by 18" wheels. The same goes for the Goodyear MTRs where there are plenty of unhappy people with 35s being too light of a service description and plenty of happy people running the 37s.

BTW, the Goodyear 37x12.5R17 MTRs and the Toyo 37x13.5R18 MTs share the exact same service description of 124, and more than likely offer the same ride quality.

Quick Reply: 35x14.50 tires!