Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's worth the trouble?

Old 06-13-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawhn7
Thx for all your imput!.... I really like the look of 35's just curious of the drawbacks and extra exspences that may come with them rather than 33's....
go with what YOU want for your Jeep and what your budget is/will be down the road. I did 33's on a BB around this time last year. Now I'm going to a true coil lift and 35's will most likely be on before the summer is over. In the meantime I had a chance to pick at other things like bumpers, skids, beefing up the D30, so to me it wasn't wasted time or money. Torn boot on my front driveshaft means I'll need a new one too in time - rear shaft on a 2dr is where you'll need a replacement soon if going more than 2.5~3" of lift. You will probably want a Superchips or the like at a minimum if you want to get a shred of power back. Gearing being the better alternative but not the cheapest. All a balancing act and everyone has a different take on it. Good luck!

Last edited by WhiskyPirate; 06-13-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Do you have a stick or Auto? Do you know what gears you currently have? I ran 35's for about 6 months with an auto and 4.10's and it was doable with od off. I definitely recommend the regear. It made a huge difference having 5.13's. If you actually plan on wheeling it you will eventually toast your front shaft, but the rear should be good for the long haul. These are just from my experiences, hope it helps.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dude,

Get 35's. Yes they're heavier but so what, if wanted to be lighter you'd own a smart car. I have a 2010 4 with a rough country 3.5" lift and mickey thompson Baja mtz's
(35's) on stock rims with spidertrax spacers. The only problem I have had is my steering box currently makes a "popping sound" every once in a while. I'm sure I'll have to replace it sometime down the road but who cares because I LOVE my 35's
Old 06-13-2011, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

oh, also a flashpaq makes a hell of a difference which might save you from re-gearing if it satisfies your needs
Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

buy 35s ive run them for awile now and love em. trails you cant beat em , highway no regearing im geeting 17mpg to 18mpg sometimes gotta baby the gas and i never take the overdrive off. big hills going out of town tend to be alittle tuffer do to lack of power and gearing but i wouldnt change a thing....for now!

oh yeah running rubicon express 3.5 haven had ball joint driveline or any other issue , just take what others are saying as precautions you may have no problem then again all hell may brake loose . risk it all !

Last edited by newbiejk; 06-13-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jawhn7
So no need to regear or no driveshaft problems? Id much rather have 35's just looking at possible extras that i have been told could cost me... Like problems with driveshaft amd possible regearing
Remember your drive shafts angles will only be affected by how much you lift your Jeep, not the size of the tire you put under it.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

35s for me and I've been running them for almost a year. No issues whatsoever. Rides great on all terrain.

The extra inch of ground clearance is well worth going to 35s alone.

I love my 35s too!

I'm running 3.21s with a 6spd. Regear is coming very very soon.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:32 PM
JK Newbie

I vote for 35s. I love mine. I have 4.10s and I'm okay with the performance for now. I'm not really thinking about regearing any time soon. That is way down on my priority list. One day, I'm sure I will though.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

For jeeps 35's are the new 32's I say if you want them get them. If you go extreme offroading with them I'd worry about the U-joints the most. After that maybe *maybe* worry about the driveshafts if you're doing some serious stuff. But other than that I am sure you'll do just fine. 35's look great on jeeps. I am going to upgrade to 37's I think when I am able to wear down these 35's I have had mounted on my 2dr for like a year so far.

Best luck on picking what you want!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Go with the 35s! I was in your position 2 months ago - debating between 33s and 35s. SO glad I went big. They run great on the trails and just fine on the road. You'll have 2" envy if you go with the 33s.

Quick Reply: 35's worth the trouble?