Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35s vs 37s on stock rubicon rims

Old 07-05-2016, 09:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35s vs 37s on stock rubicon rims

I have a 2010 wrangler jk with a 3.5 inch lift installed and currently have 285s on it from my truck I used to have and will be needing new tires before winter. I plan on getting toyo open country mts. Trying to decide on size I want to get. My uncle has a 2.5 inch lift with 35s and with his lift it looks good but I think they will look small with my lift. I am already running 1.5 inch wheel spacers. Would I need to regear with 37s if I get them. And is there any other mods I would need to be able to run them. Post pics to help me decide. Thanks
Old 07-05-2016, 11:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Re gear yes, 1.5" spacer on factory wheel with a 37x12.5 tire you should expect some rubbing. Lots of people run 35's on 3.5" of lift. If you think it is too high you can always drop it down.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If pictures help you decide then you're doing it for the wrong reasons. Regear would be a wise move but that's not something you'll see in pictures. If you're going to go to 37's then you should really do it the right way and get hydro assist steering. If you do that....then you should probably be looking at heavy duty steering components up front. It's a snowball with 37's to be done correctly.

Incorrectly- bolt them up and go. No mods needed.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
If pictures help you decide then you're doing it for the wrong reasons. Regear would be a wise move but that's not something you'll see in pictures. If you're going to go to 37's then you should really do it the right way and get hydro assist steering. If you do that....then you should probably be looking at heavy duty steering components up front. It's a snowball with 37's to be done correctly.

Incorrectly- bolt them up and go. No mods needed.
Yup, most folks start seeing faster wear on parts / breaking parts when they move to 37s.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks. Its my 1st jeep I have owned and finding things out as I'm going about building it. I love the look of 37s but with my budget I don't think ill be able to. Ill just go with 35s can also do 37s on next jeep build! thanks for the help

Quick Reply: 35s vs 37s on stock rubicon rims