Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's on, update and gearing

Old 01-15-2009, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35's on, update and gearing

Here is what I got. I put on my 35's.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lifted jeep 004.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	17803

I had a tiny bit of rubbing on the outer portion of the factory, plastic skid plate. I will trim this off with a saw and file smooth. There is not much rubbing at all so this will be no big deal.

Name:	Lifted jeep 006.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	17804

The wheel fit perfectly on the stock tire carrier. I do not have to do anything with it.

Name:	Lifted jeep 001.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	17805

The drive is pretty much the same as with the stock wheels although I may have to take a little air out.

With regard to the gears: I have the stock 3.21's and they sucked from the beginning but it was bearable since I have the 6 speed. I thought there would be a big difference when I put on the new wheels. I had planned to immediately change out the gears to 4.88 but when I drove it today, it was exactly as it was before. i even shifted to 6th on the highway like I usually do. I can't believe that I am actually saying this but there is really no difference between stock and the 35's with regard to shifting and power. I am sure that would not be the case with the automatic but with the 6 speed, that is the way that it should be since the driver is actually controlling the shift points. I will not be drag racing anyone but it is the same so I have no problem waiting while I drive it around for a while since I may just change up to the 4.56 instead of the 4.88. FYI, I was a professional race care driver and I am very in tune with what the vehicles that I drive feel like so you can believe that what I am saying is correct.

I hope this helps someone with decisions since I went nuts going through the forums trying to decide what to do.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

Thats a nice clean look there, Looks real good I'm lookin to do the same set up as you but 35s with the 3.21s are holding me back from doin it tho. Hows your mpg with the 35s, cuz if you say its not that big of a difference you just might sway my mind. Again jeep looks awesome!

Brian
Old 01-15-2009, 12:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks good.

i have 3.73 and 35s... i think we lucked out living in flatland florida.

have you gone up any bridge inclines or into any headwinds yet?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:57 PM
JK Super Freak

hmmm thats interesting ive heard the opposite from just about anyone with 35s and the stock gears. I have 3.73s if i got 35s and flashed the computer would that fix the shift points for my automatic?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

Keep in mind, I said that the stock 3.21 sucked. So, running the same is still sucking. I did not love the gearing to begin with but it was ok. After installing the new wheels it really did not change. I am sure RPM's changed for the gears but I really do not look at RPMs to determine when I shift. It is still the same sluggish drive that I had to begin with.

The point that I am trying to convey is, no matter which gears you have with the manual, I do not think that there will be much difference. I went from 255/75/17 to the 35's (really about 34.5"). Don't kill the messenger. I am going to get the gears done but I just wanted to let anyone out there with a 6 speed know that it really is not any different than before the new wheels.

Also, it does help that I live in Flat Florida but I did go up a few bridge hills and it was pretty much the same as before.

With regard to MPG, the computer still shows a little over 17 MPG. The computer might be a little bit off due to the new wheel size but I am sure that it is not much.

Hey Putnam Dan, how many race cars do you have? I have 6 that I raced in ALMS, Grand Am series and Motorola Cup. I really may not have your experience but I am trying to get across that I am not a 17 year old that does not know when there is a difference. The difference is really negligible.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Congressman, I'm very much a sucker for the power of suggestion. I'm getting 35's and keeping my 3.21's (for a while at least). And since you've said it didn't change much I will keep that thought in my head. The sound of my Flow Master 40 series makes me believe I'm cruising at warp speed, although in reality kids on tricycles are probably blowing by me.

Quick Reply: 35's on, update and gearing