Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's and towing 3200lbs of camper

Old 08-19-2010, 05:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

35's and towing works great with a re-gear. I would not attempt to tow 3000lb+ without the right gearing though. I have had no issues towing a 3000lb camper loaded with stuff with the family in the Jeep climbing the mountains of PA (probably not as steep as the west coast, but still mountains). I am actually heading out to Rausch Creek tomorrow with the camper.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in central Va. so I have hills ,some steep and some are long and not so steep. With me and my trailer the lowest I have gone is 4th but it tacks out at 3000 rpms then if you shift up it will go down to 2000rpm. thats were the gears come in. should help with all that. I run 35s with 410 and the flashpaq on the tow setting and a cold air intake right now towing 3100lbs (dry weight) 19ft camper.Its not to bad just have to shift like you are driving a tractor trailer hitting the shift points just right .Right now I am looking at getting the 488s , high flow exhaust and put in a new clutch.

Does your throttle body spacer help at all?
Old 08-19-2010, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I noticed a little bit more bottom end when I first put it on, maybe a little more of the line. Who knows though, I havn't seen too many posts about it with people raving. It seems like any little thing I do is an improvement to this weak ass engine. I can't believe you pull such a big trailer! I just have a pop-up and loaded down it's like 3500, probably more, plus all the stuff in the Jeep. I really bog down on the hills...rpms screaming, cold air screaming (so loud we use hearing protection going up hills), temp going up...but I also try to keep at 70 going up hills which is part of the problem. If I have to slow down going up hill I'm screwed...after that I have NO power.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think that your auto trans is killing you. Friend of mine has a auto trans and 33s and no power. He has everything i have but the flashpaq. but with the flashpaq I think you can change your shift points to help you out on the power band.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

hind sight is everything, went with an auto because I came from a manual sports car. Oh well, guess I deal with, still love my rig. It all comes down to my allowance from the wife, getting that programmer soon, though.

Quick Reply: 35's and towing 3200lbs of camper