Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's on a Tight Budget

Old 10-29-2009, 03:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
BB lift. Add more bumpstop to keep the tires off the fenders. Might need to bring in your steer stops a bit. The plastic skid will likely still be a casualty. The tires may rub the front bumper, the pinch seam, and the rubi rails, if you have them.

You're better off saving a little longer, waiting until you can do it right...
Agree. I would drop the money on a decent lift and then wait a bit for the tires and just do it right the first time.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

You can save alot of $$ buying used tires. Check craigslist daily for Hummer H2 take offs, their 35'' bfg a/t's for 17's. If they have enough tread discount tire will allow you to buy their road hazard warranty for them so you have peace of mind. I bought 5 practically new 35's km2's off craigslist for $1000 and discount warranted them. Other tire shops might have the same deal you'd have to check.

As far as fitting 35's on a budget I agree with what has already been posted, a 2.5 budget boost and maybe a fender trim, although I know people that just run a 2.5 and don't mind a little rubbing. Or combine with a 1'' bodylift and your set.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok ill shop around and see what the cost is for 2.5" bb and 1" body. If it is relatively cheap then i might do that.

Because from what i have read i will need a 1" body lift later.

Tks for the info.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$140 2.5" RC spacer kit, $30 track bar bracket, $30 rear sway end links, $5 home made brake line extensions, $70 RC wheel spacers, $0 stock trimmed fenders and I get full flex with stock stops with my 35s
Old 10-29-2009, 05:58 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by planman
Do an advanced search for threads started by me.

One is a write-up I did for a friend on going to 35s. It should help out.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67139
Old 10-29-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

tks for the link. That helps me understand the costs.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

Find a local jeep club if you can and let everyone know what youre looking for. Sooner or later somebody will be upgrading their lift and you can pick one up on the cheap. I got a friends gently used 3" fabtech lift for $200.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Default my 35 setup

I am running a teraflex 2.5" budget boost, with an additional .5" spacer in the front. shock extensions with my stock rubicon 4 door suspension. i am running wheel spacers on factory rubicon rims and 35" mickey thompsons. i have an aftermarket rugged ridge xd bumper full width. i had to cut the back side to clear at full flex. i do not rub anywhere and with a stubby bumper i wouldn't have had to cut the bumper. have fun -
Old 10-30-2009, 03:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
Here are 35s and no lift with flat flares and no body lift (he would have some rubbing issues when flexed offroad without a 1" body lift and 1" extended rear bumpstops):

To the OP, Planman knows the skinny, stick with his advise.

That's my red JK, I love that summer photo. As Planman said, it did rub - worked fine when alone on roads, but not when loaded with camping gear and buddies at places you bought the Jeep for.

Since that pic I put a TF 2.5" coil lift on and much happier.

Good luck with your 35s and lift choice.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whiterave
Ok ill shop around and see what the cost is for 2.5" bb and 1" body. If it is relatively cheap then i might do that.

Because from what i have read i will need a 1" body lift later.

Tks for the info.
If you dont want to do the work yourself, i found a guy who will supply and install a 2" coil spacer (with extensions and bumpstops) and 1" body lift kit for 600.

www.offroadsupply.ca

Quick Reply: 35's on a Tight Budget