Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's on a Tight Budget

Old 10-29-2009, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 35's on a Tight Budget

I have been reading the forums for a while and many of the FAQ however I couldn’t find an example of this so I am asking.

Question: I want to put 35's on an all stock 4Dr Rubi auto and I am broke (aren’t we all). So I can’t afford to do a full lift. What are the minimum upgrades needed to run 35’s and still take it offroad?

Also I don't want a throw away solution. Whatever i purchase i would like to build off it if that is possible.

I am a novice offroader so I probably won’t do anything to extreme, yet

Thanks BTW the info in these forums rocks.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whiterave
I have been reading the forums for a while and many of the FAQ however I couldn’t find an example of this so I am asking.

Question: I want to put 35's on an all stock 4Dr Rubi auto and I am broke (aren’t we all). So I can’t afford to do a full lift. What are the minimum upgrades needed to run 35’s and still take it offroad?

Also I don't want a throw away solution. Whatever i purchase i would like to build off it if that is possible.

I am a novice offroader so I probably won’t do anything to extreme, yet

Thanks BTW the info in these forums rocks.
there is a Q& A section here... i asked the same thing and i believe its 2.5" as long as your not seriously trailing ...but dont quote me on it
Old 10-29-2009, 01:37 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Chop the fenders and get wheel spacers or new rims with the less backspace. There are plenty of how-to threads on the whole process of chopping...

If you can find a little money, go for a leveling kit or a 2" BB.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-29-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

flat fenders or trim yours and wheel spacers
prob take off the plastic air dam under your front bumper
Old 10-29-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

i looked in the FAQ section but they give you all the reqs. But that is 4-6K I don't have that much cash. I want to just buy wheels and tires. if possible but i figged i might need 1" body lift or something just to get by.

But i don't know that is why i am asking. whats the bare min req to run 35's and still take out offroading until i can afford the other goodies.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

tks for the info do u think i can run 35's without chopping my fenders just using spacers and correct backspacing?

Never liked the idea of chopping anything, if possible.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The easiest way would be to get a 2.5" Budget Boost and a 1" body lift if you don't want to do any cutting. Then some spacers or steel rims with 4.5" or less backspacing.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you mean spacers on the springs,(BB) the answer is yes. it has never been easier to run 35s on a jeep!!!
Old 10-29-2009, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

2.5" coil spacers will get you on your way. You might keep an eye on the For Sale section for some spacers another member is swapping out. You can usually save some money going that route.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:18 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by whiterave
tks for the info do u think i can run 35's without chopping my fenders just using spacers and correct backspacing?

Never liked the idea of chopping anything, if possible.
BB lift. Add more bumpstop to keep the tires off the fenders. Might need to bring in your steer stops a bit. The plastic skid will likely still be a casualty. The tires may rub the front bumper, the pinch seam, and the rubi rails, if you have them.

You're better off saving a little longer, waiting until you can do it right...

Quick Reply: 35's on a Tight Budget