Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's on the stock tailgate mount: Yay or Nay?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just started a thread on this...don't do it. 4 months and I broke 3 welds. I think some of it has to do with wheel size as well but can't prove it.. take it off and save up. Just put the aev on mine for $750. Love it so far..
Old 04-19-2011, 08:06 PM
JK Freak

I have the or fab carrier on order. $475 shipped from north ridge 4x4. I have 35" tires on the stock rims and had to buy an adapter to the spare to even fit on the stock carrier. If you get aftermarket rims, no adapter will be necessary with 4.5 inch backspacing. Been about 1 1/2 months now and no problem, but I am ready to put the carrier on...just in case.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pickick
Lots of votes on both sides of this debate. As my 35s are due to arrive soon, im also wondering which route I should go. So what im wondering is does anyone have any weight measurements? What does the stock wheel/tire combo weigh? What does the after market package weigh? I know im adding weight by going bigger tire, but im also losing weight by going with aluminum wheel. So what's really the net gain in weight?
My stock rubi spare weighed 72. My 15x8 procomp xtremes and 35" KM2's weigh 76. Im worried about leverage though. The backspacing pushed the wheel out pretty far on the carrier.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:49 PM
JK Freak

35 mtr/ks on mine for a year-ish. 33s for about a year n a half as well. just used wheel spacers to push the wheel out. No probs. notailgate damage..
Old 04-20-2011, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good input, thank you all.

This is the first I have heard of the OR FAB carrier. I found a good install thread on another forum and it doesn't look to difficult to install and plenty strong. This looks like a good route...

Old 04-20-2011, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKagermeister
Good input, thank you all.

This is the first I have heard of the OR FAB carrier. I found a good install thread on another forum and it doesn't look to difficult to install and plenty strong. This looks like a good route...

One issue you have is that the Michigan roads aren't just rough, they are travelled at high speed. I would get a tire carrier.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can also look into the Bestop or Smittybuilt carrier adapter. This will allow you to run the 35" tire on the stock tailgate.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting thread. Are the 35" KM2's on aluminum rims really going to be comparable in weight to a factory spare? If so, it seems like it ought to be alright. A little more leverage maybe, but they must have some design margin, right?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastiff
Interesting thread. Are the 35" KM2's on aluminum rims really going to be comparable in weight to a factory spare? If so, it seems like it ought to be alright. A little more leverage maybe, but they must have some design margin, right?
I haven't wheeled my new setup yet so I cant say how detrimental it is to run with the wheel sticking so far off the rear. We'll see.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some people have had good luck using the Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier. You could give it a try for $120, might be a good idea.

Quick Reply: 35's on the stock tailgate mount: Yay or Nay?