Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's on the stock tailgate mount: Yay or Nay?

Old 04-19-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive been trying to find more info on the treks swing out tire carrier. The spindle mounts to the sub frame and the carrier is linked to the tailgate. Im trying to figure out if it will work with the stock bumper. Its priced right at 350.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For every reason you listed, I would say "no". Between the roads you're driving on and the weight of the Toyo's (I have them too, and so feel your pain on how heavy those guys are), I personally wouldn't risk it. Just toss the spare in the back and call it done until you can afford the rear carrier.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nycvr6
I've had mine on for a few months with no noise and no problems, even with all the pot holes in NYC. My tire happens to fit perfectly snug in the bumper cutout, so it supports it nice. When I close the gate, you can hear the tire wedge in.

Exact Same here, Except the NYC part, Winnipeg, Canada, Voted worst roads in North America( not officially, but probably should be)
Old 04-19-2011, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

I've been running a 35" Toyo M/T with aftermarket rim since January. Although I don't use the tailgate much, this is my DD and ever so slowly but sure, the wiggle and shaking has gotten worse. I finally got tired of playing with fire and bought an or-fab tire carrier last week. Now I feel like I can't get it fast enough!
I'll be happy to post pics once I get it installed.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Been driving with my 35's on stock carrier for 7 weeks with no issues...but some of your stories are starting to scare me. I am shopping for a new rear bumper/tire carrier just in case.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0237.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	151851  
Old 04-19-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Freak

Lots of votes on both sides of this debate. As my 35s are due to arrive soon, im also wondering which route I should go. So what im wondering is does anyone have any weight measurements? What does the stock wheel/tire combo weigh? What does the after market package weigh? I know im adding weight by going bigger tire, but im also losing weight by going with aluminum wheel. So what's really the net gain in weight?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

Been running 35" Mickie Thompsons on the stock tire mount for over a year. Just left Moab and put her through the ringer and have had no issues. When the cash is available I will be getting the LOD rear bumper and tire carrier, but for now I have no comlaints.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

Well 35" Toyo M/T's weigh about 80 lbs each (+) aftermarket wheel, mine are 37lbs...... For me that's around 117lbs resting on the tailgate/hinges.....

That tire carrier really can't get here fast enough :p
Old 04-19-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Super Freak

long term with offroading .....nay ............
Old 04-19-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

hell nah...I have 37's and I know the 35's don't weight that much less.....these Toyo's are beasts...and they're not beasts because they're made terribly and weigh nothing....I would never chance using the flimsy stock tailgate for mounting one of them....

Sam

Quick Reply: 35's on the stock tailgate mount: Yay or Nay?