Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's on the stock tailgate mount: Yay or Nay?

Old 04-19-2011, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35's on the stock tailgate mount: Yay or Nay?

I have read the posts, done my research, seen the horror stories, but the simple fact is I don't have $1,000 large to spend on a tire carrier. Should I try this out for a while or throw the spare in the back till I save the coin? I don't think I'll ever have a need for a heavy duty rear bumper and I run a 1.25" RC body lift so not sure if aftermarket bumpers will work with the bumper lift brackets. The carrier only from AEV is still $900 so that's out.

The Jeep is my DD and I drive shitty (read: pothole infested) Michigan roads to and from work. Running a 35x12.50R18 Toyo M/Ts on sotck Sahara wheels.

I have already ordered a Teraflex bracket from Northridge so I can mount it up there but still have concerns with my tailgate folding like a pretzel......

Also, these Toyo's are HEAVY.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKagermeister
I have read the posts, done my research, seen the horror stories, but the simple fact is I don't have $1,000 large to spend on a tire carrier. Should I try this out for a while or throw the spare in the back till I save the coin? I don't think I'll ever have a need for a heavy duty rear bumper and I run a 1.25" RC body lift so not sure if aftermarket bumpers will work with the bumper lift brackets. The carrier only from AEV is still $900 so that's out.

The Jeep is my DD and I drive shitty (read: pothole infested) Michigan roads to and from work. Running a 35x12.50R18 Toyo M/Ts on sotck Sahara wheels.

I have already ordered a Teraflex bracket from Northridge so I can mount it up there but still have concerns with my tailgate folding like a pretzel......

i ran my 35 on the stock holder for maybe 2 weeks and got nervous about the noises it made driving and while opening it so i took it off and waited for a bumper.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran 33's and it made horrible sounds and bowed my tailgate and tweaked the hinges. I wouldn't recommend putting a 33, much less 35" tire. Throw it in the back and save for a carrier.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 35x12.50x17 toyo mts on mine been running it for over a year now. Works great.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

I have had mine on the stock carrier for 6 months with no problems so far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-667225990.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	151807  
Old 04-19-2011, 04:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GreenJK07
I ran 33's and it made horrible sounds and bowed my tailgate and tweaked the hinges. I wouldn't recommend putting a 33, much less 35" tire. Throw it in the back and save for a carrier.
Remember with a 35 it usually rests on the bumper. The 33 is all on the tail gate.
Running stock probably isnt the best set up, but it works.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have had my 35 riding around on the stock mount for 3 years now and have had no problems yet. It might fall off one day. I also drive the nice bumpy roads of Washington dc and you should hear some of the noises coming from back there. If my tail gate gets messed up then it will be time to get creative to fix it.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:28 PM
JK Super Freak

been running 37/12.5/17 for over a year and i haven't had any problems.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKagermeister

I'm sure you probably saw it already but you didn't mention it....Have you looked at the or-fab tire carrier? It is only $500
Old 04-19-2011, 04:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heavy 35's no good for the stocker, I ran my 35x13.5 cooper stt on the back for 2 weeks and all it did was rattle. look up warped tailgate, you will see all the people with destroyed tailgates because of big spares.

Quick Reply: 35's on the stock tailgate mount: Yay or Nay?